How helpful are student-generated course reviews?

• Total voters

Nedzad

Study Buddy
HI Carolyn,
First of all great topic. I'm big fan of MOOC, I've done so far about 40 different courses, seminars and webinars. For me the best provider of courses is Coursera so far. I've done, and I'm doing courses on Edx, Udacity, Alison, you name it I've done it.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Ankit Khandelwal is a true MOOC enthusiast. After graduating with a degree in chemical engineering, he realized he wanted to work in global business, but traditional business school was too expensive and offered no guarantee of getting him where he wanted to be. Instead, Ankit dedicated himself to MOOCs full time for two years, following a self-designed course plan he called “Envisioning the 21st Century Global Manager.” It spanned more than 10 universities and providers and covered topics from trade negotiation to foreign languages. Now, Ankit is writing a book about his experience, while also researching and promoting the online learning industry. He recently spoke to CourseTalk about the value of MOOCs, where he sees online education going and how he uses CourseTalk to enhance his learning experience.

Source: CourseTalk Blog: http://press.coursetalk.com/post/10...l&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Follow Ankit’s learning journey on his website — www.ankitkhandelwal.in — or on Twitter at @enlighting - See more at: http://press.coursetalk.com/post/10....com&utm_campaign=buffer#sthash.YYqxg640.dpuf

BMint

This is a great example of how MOOCs can be used in a very constructive way. It requires an enormous amount of determination and self-will, but seeing how people like Ankit have created their own learning pathways is very encouraging.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
8pNdO.jpg

Open Education EU http://ow.ly/i/8pNdO

Susan

A recent study How Video Production Affects Student Engagement: An Empirical Study of MOOC Videos looked into the effect of 4 different MOOC video formats on student engagement in MOOCs.

These were:

a.) a recorded classroom lecture,
b.) an instructor’s talking head,
c.) a Khan-style digital tablet drawing (popularized by Khan Academy),
d.) a PowerPoint slideshow.

intro-four-example-videos960.jpg

It would be really interesting to know what your preferred type of video is.
You can share by voting in the poll - thanks :)

Source: https://www.edx.org/blog/how-mooc-video-production-affects#.VModWf6sWT7

Sky

In the article "6 important things to know about how your brain learns", author Belle Beth Cooper discusses how our brains take in new information (http://sco.lt/9LvyYj)
learning-brain-798x310.jpg

1. We take in information better when it’s visual
  2. We remember the big picture better than the details
  3. Sleep largely affects learning and memory
  4. Sleep deprivation significantly reduces your ability to learn new information
  5. We learn best by teaching others
  6. We learn new information better when it’s interleaved
Do you have any tips & tricks to learn better? Why not share them here.

Elizabeth

I often sketch diagrams that represent the information provided during a lecture. A chart, a venn diagram, a picture. I find that these visual clues take me back to the details of the lecture - allowing me to recall more facts and specific details while studying.

I also try to keep a drink nearby - I'm always drinking water, Coke or coffee during a lecture. I just find it curbs any nervous energy and allows better focus. Side benefit: I'm always better hydrated when I'm taking a MOOC!

Finally, I try to take courses that relate to something happening in my life so that I can apply it as I go. That application allows me to test my comprehension and discover what else I need to learn, ask questions about, and be able to share relevant results.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Finally, I try to take courses that relate to something happening in my life so that I can apply it as I go. That application allows me to test my comprehension and discover what else I need to learn, ask questions about, and be able to share relevant results.
This is great advice @Elizabeth - thanks.

Nedzad

Study Buddy
Nice topic.

Personally the Best way that I learn is via visualizing something + music in the background. You also must let emotion into your learning process. If you love something, you're going to learn that in a quick way. Use rewarding techniques, if you have a pet you give them food for every new move or command they learn. Do the same with yourself, when you study and you finish one chapter. Reward yourself with something you love. The best way to study is to learn for 40-50 minutes, then make a break for 10-15 minutes.
Use pomodoro technic. I could talk about this topic for days :D

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Many MOOC platforms such as Coursera, EdX etc have discussion boards which aim to provide the learner with a way to interact with other students enrolled on the same course, and sometimes with instructors. In theory, these forums provide a great opportunity to find support, both socially and academically, whilst enrolled on what can potentially be an isolating learning experience.
However, users often complain that these forums don't offer what it says on the tin. In fact, in some cases, quite the opposite. These MOOC forum issues are discussed in my article, Why MOOC forums fail to deliver, and by David Hopkins in his article, Reading: Learner engagement in MOOCs.

What is your experience with using MOOC forums?

Nedzad

Study Buddy
For me it's important. You feel more achievable. And for MOOC-s the free certificates, or certificates of a complications doesn't cost a thing. Specially if they have add to Linkedin integration button. I'm here all for knowledge, but let's be honest we all like see our achievements.

Mervyn Pilley

For me it's important. You feel more achievable. And for MOOC-s the free certificates, or certificates of a complications doesn't cost a thing. Specially if they have add to Linkedin integration button. I'm here all for knowledge, but let's be honest we all like see our achievements.

Like everything else to do with learning having a record of what you have done and what you have achieved is important. Like many people I have started many MOOC courses only to fall by the wayside part way through. If I complete a course I wan't evidence of the achievement. As per my other strands in the group Learing records and certifications can also satisfy CPD requirements for many professional bodies.

Mervyn Pilley

I like obtaining a Verified Certificate after completing a course but I do not think that the certificates are worth very much.

Colin, they can be if you belong to a professional body or work in a sector where CPD is compulsory. Certificates are needed for structured CPD which normally count for more CPD hours than unstructured study/activity

Nedzad

Study Buddy
Like everything else to do with learning having a record of what you have done and what you have achieved is important. Like many people I have started many MOOC courses only to fall by the wayside part way through. If I complete a course I wan't evidence of the achievement. As per my other strands in the group Learing records and certifications can also satisfy CPD requirements for many professional bodies.

Agree. Certificate of Accomplishment doesn't cost a thing. And when you receive it you feel let's say nice. And I think in the future, having a certificate or pursuing an informal education will have a huge impact :)

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Stephen Downes, Senior Researcher for the National Research Council of Canada and pioneer of many major e-learning developments – such as MOOCs, syndicated learning and the concept of connectivism – tells ONLINE EDUCA BERLIN that MOOCs as we know them are on the way out; it’s time to make way for open online learning.