Welcome Lounge

Nedzad

Study Buddy
I used to love my job and go to work every day with a smile on my face, but the company has changed and there are now a lot of unhappy people for various reasons. Considering we spend a substancial part of our lives at work, it is not a good thing to be unhappy with your place of work. I am hoping that with the help of some online courses, this is something I will be able to change. We are very fortunate to live in this age where learning is so accessible.
Thank you on your post.
The main problem in 21 century is lack of "leadership" skills at managers. Productivity of company is dependent on employees. So far 90% company so far, that I've heard in my surroundings are having people that are unhappy with the managers and working place. So if you have positive workplace, happy workers you're productivity is going to rise to the roof.

Susan, can I ask you one Question? Does your manager ever had launch with you, or talk with employees?

brewbooks

Nedzad,
Great question, thanks for making me think this morning!
I am quite happy with my life right now, even though I do have some uncertainty going on. A few years ago, at age 55, I decided to retire from my employer and return to school. I am an engineer and I want to apply engineering to some areas of neuroscience.

I now have less money but much more time. I think it has been a good trade-off, I believe the philosopher Seneca who said: "Nothing is ours except time." My main focus is school, both at a small college and learning via online, both Coursera and edX. I do some part-time work, I have a patchwork quilt of small jobs. I can say, I wake up almost every morning happy and energized.

In the last year, I did have some challenges. I had to have some surgery for an illness. It is a treatment, but not a cure. So, I live with that. I am very thankful to have had good medical care and right now, I am doing great and may be fine for many years. Since one of my passions is hiking and exploring nature, I decided that this summer will be no school or work for me, I am going to explore for 3 months.

Maybe it will sound silly but the thing I am working to change is to teach myself is to be good... to my family, my friends, myself, and to the world.

Nedzad

Study Buddy
Nedzad,
Great question, thanks for making me think this morning!
I am quite happy with my life right now, even though I do have some uncertainty going on. A few years ago, at age 55, I decided to retire from my employer and return to school. I am an engineer and I want to apply engineering to some areas of neuroscience.

I now have less money but much more time. I think it has been a good trade-off, I believe the philosopher Seneca who said: "Nothing is ours except time." My main focus is school, both at a small college and learning via online, both Coursera and edX. I do some part-time work, I have a patchwork quilt of small jobs. I can say, I wake up almost every morning happy and energized.

In the last year, I did have some challenges. I had to have some surgery for an illness. It is a treatment, but not a cure. So, I live with that. I am very thankful to have had good medical care and right now, I am doing great and may be fine for many years. Since one of my passions is hiking and exploring nature, I decided that this summer will be no school or work for me, I am going to explore for 3 months.

Maybe it will sound silly but the thing I am working to change is to teach myself is to be good... to my family, my friends, myself, and to the world.

As I said earlier you are true inspiration for all of us. To quit job at 55, to decide to study on your own, to get back again to college. To get back to college again, and to study in your age is really something. Because most of the people at your age, are drinking, they gave up from life.

I hope that you're going to be healthy for next 2 decade at least.
Just stay positive, and travel as much as you can!
To change yourself is the hardest point, in any stage of life.

I want to share a document with you, I've originally wrote it for a HeySuccess company.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bvyfsj7wivw0zs/When I take a look into my past.docx?dl=0

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
I saw this on LinkedIn...

07d06454-1ec5-40e4-8ab3-d2e53ec150e9-medium.jpeg

What would those two words be?

karimse07

Group Manager
Study Buddy
hi i am intersted in bioinformatics -software enginering and less in big data , hope i can find a study buddy

Barry

Study Buddy
Hi I am Barry,
I recently started an Access course with the OU, with a view to continue on a degree course. However, and maybe I should have checked this before enrolling on the course, I was somewhat stunned by the uplift in costs approx. 1.3k a year (30) or 2.7k (60). This post is not a moan about those costs, but I feel for someone like me who just wishes to enter into a lifelong path of learning the costs at the OU are no longer viable. So I have been looking around for alternatives, of which the MOOC looks to be very real option for me.
I will now spend a little time learning the best way to approach MOOC’s, I don’t just want to accumulate courses or certificates but look for methods to get the best out of them an ultimately come up with a winning strategy to make the best of my time on each course.

Barry

L

Loisel Wilson

LEARN

This is just a bit of fun to get you used to using the forum. o_O

I'll start off by posting a word. You then reply posting another word which you associate with the previous. For example If I post CAR, the next person might post WHEEL.

I'll start with STUDENT

K

Kajal Sengupta

This is just a bit of fun to get you used to using the forum. o_O

I'll start off by posting a word. You then reply posting another word which you associate with the previous. For example If I post CAR, the next person might post WHEEL.

I'll start with STUDENT

I am adding BOOKS

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Have you made any New Year's Resolutions?
Why not inspire others and share them here...

addem

Study Buddy
Hi, I'm Adam, I'm self-teaching several topics in Math, Science, CompSci, and others. I generally want to rigorously study and understand everything, and I tend to like more theoretical than applied sorts of studies, although it's also nice to sometimes use this knowledge to build something. :)

I'd be happy to find someone with similar interests to discuss these subjects, whether they know more or less than I do. Right now I'm working on Partial Differential Equations and Graph Theory; programming in R, Java, and Python often thinking of algorithms and statistical analysis; Electricity and circuits; Regression Analysis and Bayesian Probability. I've also been reading as much serious material as I can find on early human civilization, particularly interested in their philosophies, religions, and technology--basically, what they thought and knew and how they figured it out.