How helpful are student-generated course reviews?

• Total voters

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Colin, it would be interesting to hear your reasons for not completing them. Lack of time? Lack of engagement?
Also, if you repeat a MOOC, do you have to start from scratch or can you take it up where you left off the last time?

Colin McLaren

Colin, it would be interesting to hear your reasons for not completing them.

In the case of Introduction to Genetics and Evolution, my computer became infected with a virus in the week that I had to sit the final assessment and submit my final assignment, so I was unable to complete the course, because I spent most of that week disinfecting my computer and re-installing software etc. I will repeat this from scratch, in part to remind me of what I have forgotten since the beginning of this year and in part because it is interesting.
For Logic and Language, I just didn't have the time to do all of the reading and assignments so I dropped out but I will start again from the beginning because I had not completed anything in this course.
I have signed up to take Emergence of Life again, which is in its 2nd week of lectures. I didn't pass this course the 1st time because I did not submit the assignments. I am also starting this from scratch because I want to complete it properly this time. It's an interesting course (to me) and I have come to terms with the "let's pretend" nature of a couple of the assignments, although I still do not like them.
I have sometimes withdrawn from a course because I just didn't like the subject or the teaching and assessment format and I was more interested in other courses that I was doing concurrently. Regards, Colin McLaren

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
B0yNJWBCIAACQ8i.jpg

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Some facts and figures from a report by ICEF Monitor on Who uses MOOCs and how:

• 85% of MOOC users have at least one degree
  • The vast majority of MOOC students are male
  • The avearage age of MOOC participants is mid-twenties
  • One-third of MOOC participants are from North America
  • European participants view the most amount of course content, while those from China and Japan view the least.
  • Nearly half of MOOC registrants never engage with any content.
  • Course difficulty, procrastination or lack of motivation are the main reasons for dropping out.
  • Access to MOOCs by people in developing countries is limited by personal broadband access, language barriers, and a need for previous knowledge to grasp concepts.

The above figures & observations are derived from various different studies looking into the usage and impacts of MOOCs. To read the full article, go to http://monitor.icef.com/2014/07/who-uses-moocs-and-how/

MattB

MOOCs remain less available to those who actually need them the most – the undereducated and impoverished.

Bluebeard

Something to consider too is that MOOCs are primarily developed in the Western World (US & Europe), and don't take into account different socialogical factors such as values, traditions and knowledge which may be very different in other parts of the globe. To me, this makes them restrictive rather than "massive".

Jaffa

I find often there aren't enough reviews to be able to make an informed decision. But when there are several reviews, I do find them quite helpful.

Susan

On some sites, you can also rate the instructor and the course provider. It's a shame people who have completed courses don't review them more often because this would provide a good insight into the course before signing up.

Bluebeard

It is a well known fact that consumer generated reviews are widely used by the public to get inside infiormation on a product or service before buying. Unfortunately, this trend doesn't seem to have been fully exploited with online courses. There is an evident lack of reviews. Maybe we could start a review system on this site? What do you think?

BMint

I'd be interested to know what others prefer when doing an online course. Do you prefer to join courses that you can dip in and out of as and when you choose or do you prefer to follow a set schedule?

Duke

I'm not that keen on self-paced courses because I tend to feel quite isolated. With scheduled courses, lots of people are learning at the same time and can have instant discussions about the content. It makes it feel less daunting.

Susan

I'm not that keen on self-paced courses because I tend to feel quite isolated. With scheduled courses, lots of people are learning at the same time and can have instant discussions about the content. It makes it feel less daunting.
I totally agree with Duke on this. I'm more motivated when I'm on a sceduled course.

Leon van Bokhorst

Quite the contrary for me. I love to work at my own pace on a cluster of courses, bringing complementary material in and out when needed. Good quality and moderated forums give me some sense of community.

It's like playing my own game in a sandbox full of knowledge.

Leon van Bokhorst

How do you find the forums on the self-paced courses? Do you find there really is a sense of community?

Not really, but it gives me an idea of the people taking the course. It looks like the knowledge, drive and background of students is far too diverse to create a coherent community, don't you think?