Looking for best MOOCs on mathematics & statistics for data science

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Robert Wilks, May 3, 2018.

Become an Online Tutor
  1. Robert Wilks

Robert Wilks New Member

I'm looking for recommendations of MOOCs covering mathematics and statistics required for data science. Thanks

2. Arthur

Arthur Guest

3. coriander

coriander New Member Study Buddy

I'm studying:
    Data Analysis & Statistics
    I am in the Purdue EdX probability MOOC right now Course | 416.1x | edX ; it is excellent. I am racing to finish the two parts before it ends June 29.

The videos though can be excruciating to watch; even at 2X speed there are extended pauses. But the text (found online) is very good, as are the quizzes and practice problems. Also, the MIT OCW probability course Unit I: Probability Models And Discrete Random Variables | Probabilistic Systems Analysis and Applied Probability | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare (not exactly a MOOC per se) is very good; I am using that also. It uses the text by Bertsekas. The two courses are very complementary.

[NOTE: The coursera links look like they don't go where I expected them to go]

The Johns Hopkins Biostastics courses with Brian Caffo (Coursera | Online Courses From Top Universities. Join for Free for example) are very good for stats. I took one a while ago, but it was different and less organized at that time. The one I linked to is on my list.

He just put out an ebook (as in today), and I bought it. I don't usually (as in EVER) buy ebooks, but I thought his would be worth it.

Right now (like in the next week) there is what looks like a good Coursera course on inference [inferential statistics from University of Amsterdam] (Inferential Statistics | Coursera.). I signed up and will try to follow it along with the probability, but that may be a lot.

Also, I am REALLY liking two old school probability books from the 1970's. One by Alvin Drake is recommended by MIT, and the other by Hoel, Port and Stone is also good; great exercises, great explanations. PDF's are readily available via google.

I am interested in finding a study buddy for this material also, for structured check-in and follow up. Write me if that interests you: john.kilboATgmail.com

4. mathur

mathur New Member

Related Content