Why should I pay for a Udacity Nanodegree when the classes are already free?

Quora Feeds

Allan Reyes

Disclosure: I wrote this when I was still a student/graduate. Since then, I realized that I believed in Udacity's mission so strongly that I applied for a job there--and got in! Everything below this line is the unedited original.
Short answer
: (a) you're paying for support, and (b) you're also buying into an awesome community.
Long answer: Udacity is still a MOOC (massive open online course) provider at heart. With their mission of democratizing education, I think classes will always remain free and you can always do the method you mention. However, when you pay for a Nanodegree, you get access to vibrant communities and responsive support. I'll list just a few of the benefits below.
Project grading: simply put, your projects will get graded. You'll get feedback on a rubric and with in-line comments in your code. I am unsure if your projects will get graded during the trial week/period... you'll have to ask someone at Udacity.
Discussion forums: you'll typically get answers same-day, if not same-hour. Additionally, a lot of useful tips and posts are left here by both students and instructors, alike. You have access to this 24/7.
Chat: you can chat live with other students and instructors to get immediate feedback. This is also available 24/7.
One-on-one sessions: you can schedule ~30 min. video chats with course instructors and staff. This gives you the chance to ask questions or show parts of your code. I believe you can schedule this once every two weeks.
Office hours: Google Hangouts on Air (video conference) with the course instructors where they broadcast a live Q&A session to go over any questions about the projects. These typically run twice per week.
Career services: you'll get help with job placement, workshops on how to conduct successful interviews, etc. I do not have concrete numbers, but many graduates have been assisted with getting jobs. Some students who particularly excelled in the Nanodegree program have even been hired by Udacity. (see: Udacity on Twitter)
Nanodegree certificate: you'll get the credential. While it's possible to do the projects on your own and build your own portfolio, the Nanodegree is Udacity's stamp of approval that you've completed them to standard.
After graduating a Nanodegree: you'll also continue to have access to many of the aforementioned resources. You'll also get access to a few other things.
  • LinkedIn Alumni group, connections with other graduates and Udacity staff, and honestly, you could probably ask instructors you've developed relationships with for LinkedIn endorsements and recommendations
  • Private video conference events with Udacity engineers and leaders, alumni, and developers at other companies in Silicon Valley
  • Opportunity to get featured on Udacity's blog in their student spotlight. I was lucky enough to get selected, and a few people (and job offers) found their way to me after Udacity wrote Student Spotlight: Allan Reyes, An Entrepreneurial Journey - Udacity - Climb Higher.
  • Opportunity to apply as a code reviewer. (I've heard this pays fairly well at $25-75/hour depending on your efficiency, but you'll have to ask someone who was accepted.)
  • Strong relationships with both students and instructors. In fact, some Udacity staff/instructors were able to assist me with a letter of recommendation for applying to OMSCS - Georgia Institute of Technology.
So, let's revisit the question, "Why should you pay?"
Bottom line: support and community, both during and after the Nanodegree.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...