Why should I need to take a front-end web developer nano degree from Udacity for $200...

Quora Feeds

Andrew Roy Chen

So I've literally JUST completed the Nanodegree for Front-End web development. Exit interview a couple days ago. I'll give my current POV but understand this may change as I assess my job-worthiness, so to speak.
Basically I see these programs as offering two major value propositions. I'll define them first:

1) The Degree: the idea is that having one will hold some sway in the eyes of potential employers...is this the case yet? The pulse on my classmates who have finished the program before me is encouraging...jobs and internships have been celebrated. Is this a direct result of listing a 'nanodegree' from Udacity on their resume?
TBD.

If anything, the most commonly cited plus factor on resumes and interviews is demonstrating aptitude through high-quality project work. This leads neatly into #2...

2) The Process: the method of learning a new skill, the speed of understanding a concept, the medium which is most effective will differ depending on the person. I do believe for many folks a skill-building roadmap that brings structure and support is valuable.

Structure scaffolds internalization of concepts and support (from real humans motivated to see you overcome a challenge) can be the difference between giving up or persevering. Udacity offers 80% of the structure free through their coursewares (the other 20%, which program students receive, accounts for project guidelines and code review that force you to iterate and improve). Support, thru dedicated coaches, private active forums and the camaraderie with your classmates is largely reserved for program members (there are free forums related to each course as well but support thru that channel is highly unpredictable.)

The process essentially boils down to this: consume the courseware and build out carefully designed projects (the programs were designed with the feedback of cos like Google and AT&T). As you build the projects you can receive a ton of catered support. You will iterate until your project passes the spec, with projects reviewed by a live person who provides comments, guidance and feedback on your practices and errors. By the time you are done with the program you have amassed a basic portfolio demonstrating the fundamental skills required in that track as deemed by partner companies.

So, the way I see it, if either of those two value points strikes a bell for ya its not a poor investment. Especially if what you really want is some support in learning a new skill set. A lot of folks don't need that help. A lot of folks do. Bottom line: you want a valuable new skill, how much time and money are you personally OK with investing?

For reference, students seem to be finishing the program in little as 2 months right up to 6-7 months (seems average thus far). So, $400 - $1400. For someone who went to an American uni like me, thats not too bad. It can also be sorta compared with bootcamps like General Assembly (part-time front-end course $3500 in LA...plus the horror of DRIVING TO LA. Source: Front-End Web Development).

As for comparison to Code Academy, which I have taken multiple tracks for and greatly appreciate, I don't feel like the experiences are on the same level. For one, Udacity courses will go deeper into a subject. Two, the presentation style are a great help to some (again, depends on the learner). Code Academy DOES have a nice in-browser coding experience. Perhaps Udacity and similar MOOCS can look to incorporate some of those ideas and tech. It is great, if somewhat bland presentation-wise, for picking up the absolute basics.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...