Why doesn't Carnegie Mellon participate in Coursera?

Quora Feeds

Julia Teitelbaum

One reason I can think of is that Carnegie Mellon University has generally focused on taking a different approach to E-learning. Rather than take classroom courses and try to have more people take them online, CMU's approach has been to create asynchronous, self-paced (and probably less social) courses in the OLI http://oli.cmu.edu/.

I think Carnegie Mellon University takes this approach, in part, because of their strength in the fields of Cognitive Science, Computer Science, and research. For CMU, the OLI isn't just about allowing more people to access Carnegie Mellon University courses, it's also about researching learning science, cognitive models, and online learning. You can read what the OLI has to say about itself here:

That said, I don't think that Carnegie Mellon University continuing to develop OLI and adopting Coursera are mutually exclusive options. Coursera seems like a much faster way to allow professors to reach more students, since OLI courses tend to take a while to develop.

I hope that at some point the people at Coursera and the OLI researchers (who have researched online learning since about 2001) would share what they know.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...