What should I focus on to learn programming for 2015?

Quora Feeds

Ken Mazaika

It doesn't matter what programming language you pick. Pick something and go with it and don't spend too much time analyzing if it's the ideal choice - you can always learn something else later.

Here's why:

Technologies are evolving faster than the music Justin Bieber is coming out with.

New programming languages, technologies and frameworks are coming out every day. If you wanted to learn the most hyped front-end framework a couple months ago, you'd probably pick up Angular. Now ReactJS is the trendiest front-end framework, and I wouldn't be surprised if a different framework is in vogue in the future.

Just jump in and pick something and build something real. There are plenty of cases where Java or dotnet are the right tool for the tasks at hand for an employer. Pylons, Django, Rails, Hibernate are all tools that are useful to learn and are used to build real apps. By building projects in frameworks that are actually used in the real world you can prove something important:

That you are capable of programming in tools that are used in industry.

For example, if you are a master at Django employers will assume you'll be able to pick up other languages and frameworks pretty quickly. Django is pretty similar to Rails, so if you applied for a Rails job you could easily be considered for the position even with zero hands-on experience with Ruby or Rails.

But because the programming ecosystem is evolving so rapidly there is one quality that more important than any others when it comes to being an in-demand developer.

In-demand developers are adaptable. During technical interviews, the employer is really going to focus on that you have a solid foundation in programming. Rather than just being a practitioner of a single technology - and being a one trick pony - they're going to really want to make sure you have solid fundamentals of programming and Computer Science.

Things like Data Structures, Big Oh notation, and a series of silly questions that happen to come up disproportionately often on interviews. This isn't only the case at big companies like Twitter and Google - but virtually every job as a developer.

So the path you should take when learning to code is to:

• Learn some of the tools that are currently being used in industry.
  • And focus on learning the fundamentals of programming - things that don't change so quickly.

This strategy will make you incredibly in-demand and your skills as a software engineer will put you in a position to get hired as a professional developer. I wrote about this topic on the blog for my online coding bootcamp, Firehose.

Behind Closed Doors: How You Can Be an In-Demand Developer

If you liked my answer, it would mean a lot to me if you upvoted it, by pressing the light blue button below.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...