What are some ‘good’ open source Java projects?

Quora Feeds

Lukas Eder

EDIT: This answer was given to a semantically quite different question: What are some good open source projects for beginner programmers for Java?

No. No no no. I'm going to have to be frank now:

So many people "want to get involved". Without any actual personal incentive in getting the actual product to advance. That won't work. You don't just go about and do random work in life outside of software either, right? Just to get involved? You don't go to a hospital, tell the doctors, hey this is interesting, how can I get involved? You do things on purpose. To create a win-win situation for yourself and for the other party - in this case the Open Source maintainers or vendors.

Do yourself a favour and wait for that moment when you have an actual incentive to advance a specific Open Source product (not a random one). E.g. when you're using it in your daytime job, and you see that it's missing 2-3 features. Or that it has 2-3 bugs. By now, you may notice that this has nothing to do with Open Source. It could happen with a commercial product, too.

Your impression that everything seems "too hard, too confusing, or too matured" is just your way of saying "I'm not 100% sure if I should really do this". The truth is: No one out there has waited for a beginner with no true incentive and no clear sign of commitment to get involved.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...