Should I include Udemy Certificates on my CV?

P

Peter Man

Would it be helpful to include any relevant Udemy certificates on my cv or are these seen as low quality credentials?

I

Ilhan GOZAYDIN

UDEMY is for hoppiests. There is no academic value at all .Anybody can set up a video and read some books can claim that he is providing and online course . I took 2-3 couırses from them . One photography course . Instructor just read a book . Also Udemy itself says anybody can submit a course and ask some fee for it . People unfortunately do not understand what it is. And they pay .
I am an employer . If somebody comes to me saying that he has a certificate from UDEMY, I would not even talk to him . For good academic courses go to EDX get courses from Harvard Stanford, MIT , Duke , Princeton , then I can hire you at the 80 % of the salary I would pay to Harvard graduate . Seriously. Even Coursera is not very serious online . It is a commercial company. So they are not selective in their universities as members .

Upvote 0
J

Julio Ernesto Rojas

Would it be helpful to include any relevant Udemy certificates on my cv or are these seen as low quality credentials?
I think the certificates are very important. The Udemy's model is fresh and attractive for many people. Now, the certificates in microlearning way, or MOOC of the universities and organizations, are very successful.
Regards
JulioRojas

Upvote 0
R

Rob Lippincott

This is a judgment call. Increasingly, the answer is a definitive yes. However, as illustrated by your first answer there are some stubborn, lingering (ignorant, IMHO) impressions that all online learning is somehow cheap and easy, infinitely inferior to bricks-, especially Ivy bricks-, based courses.

As a default, I would certainly include them. But if you are applying to a law firm or a classic consulting firm or investment bank - where everything is judged by GPA and standing of University, I'd omit them on the CV and bring them up in the interview in the context of your ongoing learning path.

Upvote 0
M

Miguel

UDEMY is for hoppiests. There is no academic value at all .Anybody can set up a video and read some books can claim that he is providing and online course . I took 2-3 couırses from them . One photography course . Instructor just read a book . Also Udemy itself says anybody can submit a course and ask some fee for it . People unfortunately do not understand what it is. And they pay .
I am an employer . If somebody comes to me saying that he has a certificate from UDEMY, I would not even talk to him . For good academic courses go to EDX get courses from Harvard Stanford, MIT , Duke , Princeton , then I can hire you at the 80 % of the salary I would pay to Harvard graduate . Seriously. Even Coursera is not very serious online . It is a commercial company. So they are not selective in their universities as members .

Coursera is not serious? LOL! You might have picked the wrong course then?
First of all, they are all commercial companies who have ties with Universities. Some with Harvard and others with London U and others. Virtual Reality Specialization for instance have world known Academics who are teaching the course. So, stating Coursera isn't serious online, please do your homework before making such claims.

Upvote 0
J

Jeff Wiley

Did you study English at Udemy per chance?

Upvote 0
S

Sergio.N

Seriously. Even Coursera is not very serious online . It is a commercial company. So they are not selective in their universities as members .

I attended a Machine Learning course on Coursera, the instructor was Andrew Ng, associate professor at Stanford, co-founder of Google Brain, former VP and Chief Scientist at Baidu and co-founder of Coursera itself.
I don't think you have a very good understanding of the platform and how instructors are selected.

In regards to Udemy, I'm attending a Python introductory training and it's very well done, bought two more on Machine Learning.
True: anyone can post trainings to Udemy, then market does the selection: poor content should receive poor ratings and not sought after.

Now, can the above be considered "academic training"?
In the case of the Coursera's ML training course I mentioned above, Andrew Ng says at one point in the course: "With what you've learned so far you know more than the average Silicon Valley Machine Learning engineer".
Also, the course has pretty tough tests that must be submitted to an automated rater and give you points: you can always cheat of course as I believe solutions can be googled, but what's the point of it?
Udemy instead, as far as I know, gives a certificate of completion (same as LinkedIn online training courses), no quizzes, no tests, no exams.
In all cases, if a training course has at least 24 hours of video lectures, allows for some hands-on work I would say it provides a solid foundation to a particular subject you can then build upon with more in-depth training or practical experience.

So my approach is to usually add the courses' certificates of completion to my LinkedIn profile and my CV's relevant section just to show that I am interested in a particular subject matter that is relevant for the job and I'm determined to go deeper into it.
But I would never say that I am an expert in that subject only after attending a course unless it's coupled to some serious proven business hands-on experience.

Upvote 0
R

Replytou

But it's totally up to you how you deal with it.
I wound IT courses very very helpful.
I don't know value of certificate but i learn a lot.

Upvote 0
J

Joshua Isaac

What are you talking about? I have used Udemy for my programming courses and they teach 500% more than i get in my damn university. If you are a theoretical person or are in a career where you need a GPA udemy is definitely not a place for you

Upvote 0
V

victor castro

What are you talking about? I have used Udemy for my programming courses and they teach 500% more than i get in my damn university. If you are a theoretical person or are in a career where you need a GPA udemy is definitely not a place for you
i believe that certificate teaches more the school.

Upvote 0
A

Alexandros

Guys, you need to be familiar to the topic. If you have a software engineer background and you learn a tool or framework on udemy I believe it is fine. If somebody is claiming that is a software engineer because he watched some videos on udemy that is a different story.

Upvote 0
D

Darsh

You dont sound like a professional employer. You value certifications more that actual talent.

Upvote 0
B

Boot

I would say Udemy as a whole is really useful for obtaining new skills, and you could list those skills on your CV once you've completed your Udemy course. I would say since they aren't official certs to leave it off your CV as having examples of your work (job exp/portfolios) speaks a lot louder. If there is an officially recognized cert for the skill I would use Udemy as study material for that (if you work in IT for example you'll definitely want the real certs or job experience).

Upvote 0
D

Danilo

Are you kidding me? I will be glad not to work for you.

If you look for a job in teaching, then online courses are not the way. If it's a professional skill, Udemy, coursera or other online platforms certifies that at least you completed the course and that you have the skill the employer asked for. Question during the interview should screen the people who doesn't know anything, from those who knows. Trending HR practices are including those as valuable.

Academic degree doesn't give you the skills necessary to be good at a profession. Not by any factor. It's how you apply the knowledge you have that counts. And it's even more valuable to take 5 courses on the same subject, online, than having an academic degree. In video production, it's the same as saying "premiere" is better than "Final Cut Pro", or vice-versa. Both are excellent, if you know how to work with then.

Academic value is not professional value.

Upvote 0
G

georgejo

I like many people, I already have the academic qualifications but want to more into new tools and languages as per demand. With respect to Harvard or whatever, I doubt getting a grad from there is really going to help you unless the position involves heavy research. Certainly your Harvard grad isn't going to specialize in sexy technology version 2.0.

I know many employers think like you and that's what makes lsteral career movement challenging. Your suggestion to avoid adding it to a resume is probably accurate. Sadly many employers also practice agebdiscrimination.

Upvote 0
P

Prashanth

I'd say you're not fit to call you self an employer, If that's how you see things in this decade. I do agree that certificates from Udemy/EDX/Coursera are that great either, but It does showcase that you put in effort to upskill yourself. I'd say adding it to your resume' is not gonna get you negative marks!!

Upvote 0
P

Purvi Desai

Well, I feel its all about how have you chosen the course, the instructor and what you have learnt. I found very good courses in UDemy with experience instructor and had a very good learning experience.
Unless you are able to implement the learning to your work, no course irrespective of classroom training or online can help you !!

Upvote 0