• Disclaimer: MoocLab is community-supported. If you buy through our links, we may earn money from affiliate partners.

New Online Platform Launches World-Class, For-Credit College Courses for $400

OUTLIER is a new online education platform that offers comprehensive, engaging, and beautifully-produced online courses that earn students real college credit. Their aim is to make higher education more accessible, equitable and affordable.

OUTLIER.png

The university-level courses are cinematically filmed and taught by some of the most celebrated educators in the world, including professors from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Cornell. Students have access to 1-on-1 tutoring, AI-proctored assessments, dynamically-generated problem sets, and cutting-edge, active learning techniques.

"Today, access to the highest quality education is gated by geography, socioeconomic status, and unnecessary scarcity," said Aaron Rasmussen, Founder and CEO of Outlier.org. "All that we care about at Outlier.org is that you're prepared to take our courses. If you can pass a qualifying pretest, then we're excited to give you access to the best education in the world."

OUTLIER are pilot launching two courses on September 9th 2019: Calculus I and Introduction to Psychology, both of which give students the opportunity to earn transferable college credit in partnership with the University of Pittsburgh. Each course costs $400, about one-fifth of the cost of a traditional college course, and successful students will be able to transfer 3 credits to any school of their choice.

"We are very excited to partner with Outlier.org and we look forward to continuing to explore possibilities to increase access to higher education in ways that inspire and advance the lives of students from all walks of life," said Ann E. Cudd, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor at the University of Pittsburgh.

About Calculus I
This course teaches students the calculus, including single variable functions, limits, continuity, derivatives, mean value theorem, applications of the derivative, motion problems, optimization, antiderivatives, integrals, and the fundamental theorem. Students in Outlier.org's Calculus I course can choose to learn from among three outstanding educators, including Hannah Fry of University College London, Tim Chartier of Davidson College, and John Urschel of MIT.

About Introduction to Psychology
This course introduces students to the fundamental principles of psychology, along with the major subjects of the field's inquiry. The course consists of 19 topics, each taught by a leader in the field, including Paul Bloom of Yale, Jay Van Baveland Marjorie Rhodes of New York University, and David Pizarro of Cornell.