Master the Art of Sales

Coursera Blog

Blog-7.png

Selling is a critical skill that will accelerate your success at work and in life and is not reserved solely for salespeople. We had the opportunity to speak with sales expert Craig Wortmann, the instructor of the new Specialization, The Art of Sales: Mastering the Selling Process Specialization and clinical professor at the Kellogg School of Management. Craig has been a salesperson and entrepreneur for more than 20 years and is founder and CEO of Sales Engine Inc. Read on to find out why everyone, no matter their field or age, should “Master the Art of Sales”:

Who should take this Specialization?

If you’re an entrepreneur, a career changer, or a professional salesperson like I used to be, this Specialization will give you the tools you need to get tactical use of selling.

I know some people shy away from the word “selling” and that’s okay, call it whatever you’d like. You’re still trying to influence an outcome – whether it’s selling a product, or doing well in a job interview, honing these skills will benefit anyone and everyone.

Let’s say you’re part of a company and you would never identify yourself with the word sales. You’re still going into meetings and presenting ideas and strategies to a group of people. Presenting ideas and public speaking is a form of selling, we just call it presentation or communication skills. If you’re a mom or a dad, if you’re getting your first job or your 15th job, if you’re in a company large or small, all of these circumstances require you to be good at selling yourself and your ideas.

Do you have any tips for someone who is shy or introverted?

Introverts are incredibly powerful salespeople. It’s often thought that extroverts are champion salespeople and that’s definitely true, but introverts are just as capable. The question for introverts is: What are your inherent strengths? Introverts are good at asking questions and listening. Guess what the two necessities for high performing sales are? Asking questions and listening! To all the introverts in the world: double down on your strengths and try to identify your weak points so you can work on them in this course.

What are the characteristics of a high performer in sales?

Discipline. Incredibly disciplined. When you give a presentation you’re precise, articulate, and your point is crystal clear. High performers have the knowledge, skill, and discipline to show up, stand out and break through in a room. That’s the definition of a high performer.

What do you hope learners will walk away with after taking this course?

After taking this course, I hope learners walk away with confidence and credibility. I hope they walk away making better choices about how to show up, standout, and breakthrough because that’s really what the course is about. I want people to think “you know what? I’m going to approach this differently than I did before. I have the knowledge, skill, and discipline and I’m going to be better, say things differently.” I think learning how to be a high performer in sales really changes people’s lives and outcomes.

Enroll in The Art of Sales: Mastering the Selling Process Specialization today.

The post Master the Art of Sales appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...