Learner Story: From Finance Professional to Online Entrepreneur

Coursera Blog

Matteo, a young professional in Italy, had always followed a safe, predictable path – good grades, a degree in finance, and then a stable full-time office job. But he felt restless and unsatisfied. He had an untapped passion for learning and teaching, and he’d always been curious about other careers in other fields, especially computer science and technology.

After the 2009 financial crisis, Matteo saw a need in his community for better public resources on finance and wealth management. As a finance expert, he wanted to do something to help. He envisioned a website with articles, courses, and practical exercises and examples – and decided to make it a reality.

“It wasn’t simple to just pick up a new trajectory,” Matteo says. “But I couldn’t let the fact that it wasn’t easy become an excuse.” He didn’t have any business or technology experience, so he started taking courses on Coursera, studying on his lunch break and late into the night. “Sometimes,” he admits, “I’d wake up with my face in my keyboard.”

His dedication paid off. He completed two Specializations – Entrepreneurship: Launching an Innovative Business, from the University of Maryland, and Interaction Design, from the University of California, San Diego. And after two years of hard work, he quit his office job and launched a business. Now, he runs the website he imagined at the beginning of his journey, sharing his passion for and knowledge of finance with the world.

The post Learner Story: From Finance Professional to Online Entrepreneur appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...