Is it worth paying for a MOOC when there is a free option available?

Mrs M

From your experience, what are the advantages of paying for a MOOC compared to taking the free version?

Y

Yogi

From your experience, what are the advantages of paying for a MOOC compared to taking the free version?

This is actually a very difficult question to answer as it depends on so many things, the main one being the REASON you're taking the MOOC in the first place. If it's just for personal curiosity or interest, then there are no advantages to paying as you have access to the course lectures in the free tracks.

If you're studying for career advancement, then, again, it can also depend on the course, who the provider is, how much depth it goes into etc etc I don't think adding MOOC certificates (which would mean paying) on your cv works in your favour UNLESS you can demonstrate work you have done as a result of taking the course. For this reason, I would advise looking for courses that have a final project that you can then share to demonstrate your skill in real terms. Usually, accessing final projects is a paid feature and can be worth the cost if you're doing the course for professional reasons.

Another well-known advantage of paying for a MOOC is that you're more likely to actually finish it!

I hope that was helpful...

Upvote 0

Mooch

The capstone project is the only thing I can think of that provides jobseekers with an incentive to pay for a course. Otherwise, the certificates are worthless for most people looking at most jobs (because most people aren't going to be applying for or getting jobs with the handful of employers who recognise MOOC certificates, let alone have heard of them).

I think there's actually a reasoned case for avoiding including certificates on your CV. If an employer has never heard of MOOCs, you might then have to explain the model and why it's as credible as traditional, credited qualifications. If they're left wondering why you didn't just go to college or university instead, someone unfamiliar with MOOCs might wrongly assume you were trying to take a shortcut, similar to those who buy qualifications from degree mills.

Upvote 0

kajalsengupta

MOOC courses are basically useful if it enhances your learning. Different people have different way of learning. Some may go through the course and be able to apply that knowledge without going through any kind of professional evaluation. Some on the other hand may need to take a test so check their level of learning.In the second case it is worth taking the paid course where some kind of evaluation can be done.

Upvote 0