Does being proficient in more than one or two programming language(s) benefit one in the...

Quora Feeds

Jennifer Mace

I think there's a chance you're looking at this from the wrong direction. As a student, the most useful thing I learned from the CS side of my degree was not 'programming language X', but rather 'how to pick up programming language X with a week and an internet connection'. After three years of classes where the professor would explain his subject (say, Computer Graphics) and then send you off to write code in language Y (for that class, C++) with no expectation that you've seen Y before, this becomes second nature.

I would advise that you make an effort to learn a language in each of the main groups—say, Java for Object-Oriented, Haskell (programming language) for Functional, and Python of the more modern web-dev languages. From that kind of base, it gets progressively easier to pick up new languages as you go. Then you get to be in the position where you can be offered a project in a language you've never seen before (happened to me with Google Summer of Code last year, where my project was in Ruby (programming language)) and say 'cool, I can learn that on the fly'.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...