Can I take Coursera Specialization courses for free?

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Can I take Coursera Specialization courses for free?

A large part of my time is spent reading the latest posts, blogs and articles around the subject of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses).

Lately, there seems to be some confusion over whether it's possible to get free access to individual courses that form part of a Specialization program on Coursera without having to pay the course fees.

The simple answer is YES it is possible. You can get full access to videos, discussions, practice assignments, and view-only access to graded assignments free of charge.

Let's say you would like to enrol on just one course in a particular Specilization program without signing up to the full Specialization. This is how to do it...
  • First of all, log in or sign up on the Coursera website
  • Find the Specialization program you are interested in by conducting a search or browsing the Coursera catalog
  • Navigate to the Specialization page and scroll down to see the names of the courses that make up the Specialization.
  • Copy the title of the course you are interested in and paste it into the search box at the top of the page. Then click on the search icon
  • Select the course from the search results and click on "Enroll" on the course page
  • Click on the “audit” link highlighted below.
Coursera audit option.png

Please note this will give you free access to the lectures and videos. You’ll need to subscribe if you want access to the graded assignments and to gain a certificate.

See also MoocLab's guide: How to study MOOCs for free

Last edited:

Michael Martin

Carolyn's summary is excellent, but one additional point: most Coursera specializations include a "capstone" course, which is open only to students who have paid for the specialization and passed all of the prerequisite courses.