Advancing To A New Position After Earning A Professional Certificate: Meet Christian

edX Blog

We recently talked with Christian who completed the Professional Certificate program in Six Sigma and Lean from Technische Universität München (TUM) on edX. He is a materials scientist with advanced degrees from TU Damstadt, Chalmers and INP Grenoble. This is what he told us about his experience learning on edX:

What program did you take on edX, and what were your goals in taking it?

I took the Professional Certificate program, Six Sigma and Lean: Quantitative Tools for Quality and Productivity, from TUMx. I chose this program because it offers insights in tools applied on Six Sigma as well as Lean projects, which is something I judge as vital in a job market requiring people to stay at the knowledge front and acquire new tools and know-how to meet employers expectations.

How has the program helped you?

The program allowed me to have a good grasp of the fundamentals of Six Sigma and Lean Management, the tools employed to drive quality and productivity programs.

What did you like most about learning online?

I liked having independence from a fixed schedule, which allowed me to shift assignments and lectures to times that were convenient for my family and me.

Did your coursework result in any direct outcomes (career or personal)?

With the knowledge gained from the three courses in the program I was able to land a new position that required the knowledge I gained from all three courses in the Professional Certificate program (statistical tools employed in Six Sigma as well as methodologies from Lean).

What advice would you give new edX students?

Familiarize yourself with the skill and educational requirements in the field you want to work in and have a look into different courses. There are courses out there that will suit you and your own learning style. A verified certificate is nice to have. More important is the possibility to learn something from teachers from renown institutions, which you might not be able to do in the same time based solely on textbooks and other sources.

Anything else you’d like to share about your experience with edX and how it has helped to advance your studies?

EdX was recommended to me by a friend, and I’ve found that it is a powerful platform to expand your own knowledge. Even if you have not the time to invest as much time as a regular student per week, there are opportunities for you and most courses run several times, so that you can use the knowledge gained from one series when the course is up again to achieve a certificate!

The post Advancing To A New Position After Earning A Professional Certificate: Meet Christian appeared first on edX Blog.

Continue reading...