What are the average salaries for students who complete FreeCodeCamp?

Quora Feeds

Quincy Larson

People who take coding jobs after joining Free Code Camp seem to earn salaries that are about average for developers in their state.

The above chart comes from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. From talking with dozens of campers (our students) who've gotten coding jobs over the past few months, my sense is this salary map is quite representative.

We don't have much data outside of the US, but our overseas campers seem to be getting jobs with salaries that are average for their regions, as well.

This is just my impression, though. We don't have hard data on this, because we don't track who gets jobs out of Free Code Camp.

Campers are generally able to go out and get coding jobs without our assistance. We only hear about their new jobs afterward - and usually only if they take the time to announce it on Facebook or Reddit.

When you think about it, this makes sense. If you're self-motivated enough to work through Free Code Camp, you probably don't need our help with going out and getting a good job. You've built a portfolio through Free Code Camp, you've built your network through local conferences and hackathons, and together these lead to interviews, which eventually lead to job offers. Getting a job isn't rocket science - it's just a lot of hard work.

Other than being able to brag about "job placement percentages", we don't have any real reason to hunt you down and bother you with a salary exit survey. It's not like we're asking for a cut of your first year's salary, or some sort of recruitment bonus from your new employer. We're just happy that someone's paying you to code!

There's one thing I can say with certainty, though: people who take coding jobs after Free Code Camp make a lot more money than they did at their old jobs.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...