What are some interesting startups in the education space?

Quora Feeds

Jonathan Woolf

-7405df969246c5e8.png

I cannot believe this startup hasn't been mentioned, but any dialog about interesting EdTech startups should most certainly include Duolingo.

Duolingo is a widely acclaimed, free language teaching tool used by over 25 million users.

Duolingo is like a gamified version of the Rosetta Stone

Like many language learning tools, Duolingo initially teaches users the basics of the language. As users become more skilled, they are challenged to translate texts. According to a study commissioned by Duolingo, users with no previous knowledge of Spanish who spend 34 hours learning Spanish using Duolingo reach the same level of proficiency as a person who's taken a first-semester college course in Spanish. Duolingo is able to keep the product free by employing an innovative model of crowdsourcing.

Remains free through a symbiotic relationship with publishers that offers crowdsourced translation services

Basically, advanced users/learners of the product are tested based on their ability to translate snippets of articles from publishers like CNN and BuzzFeed. These publishers in turn pay Duolingo to translate their articles and since Duolingo has millions of users, the service can offer professional translation services that are not only faster but also a fraction of the cost of other options.

Founder invented the reCaptcha which also employs innovative crowdsourcing model to digitally transcribe old books

Luis Von Ahn, Duolingo's founder, was one of the creators of the captcha. His captcha technology was initially created to protect websites against bots by generating tests that humans can pass but current computer programs cannot. Seeing the immense challenge Amazon and Google were facing when scanning old books with difficult-to-scan typesetting, Von Ahn suggested using snippets of the difficult-to-scan passages as captchas. This gave rise to a new company, reCaptcha which digitizes more than two million books a year.

Read more:
Crowdsourcing Capitalists: How Duolingo's Founders Offered Free Education To Millions
Duolingo - Wikipedia
BuzzFeed's plan to translate its ''listicles'' is brilliant, brazen, and a little nutty

Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with Duolingo. I'm just a passionate believer in what they are doing.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

donaldjamesua

Study Buddy
One more I want to share here name mylyapp - Parent Teacher Communication app.

myly the flagship Product of EduCommerce Technologies PVT LTD.
Read How myly Started and its Vision at myly news https://www.mylyapp.com/news-and-media

Huge Education sector, such kind of app is rare, and one more important point about this educational institute management app is - myly is FREE for all Institutes, teachers, Parents as well as for Students :)