The true value of MOOC,s Certificates

What do you miss in your ideal MOOC?

• Total voters

JosepRamon Badia

I've just read the sensational post "A guide to the certificates offered by the main MOOC providers" and it has generated in my mind an immediately brainstorm (well, I confess, it has been accelerated because of a funny mistake in a cross mailing with Carolyn): whta's the true value of these MOOC Certificates? Are they useful, for instance, in your employment search? Do the corporations give considerable value (up to the recognition of knowledge acquired by beating the course)?
I believe this is the new step that MOOC providers (it means both, platforms and educational institutions wich offer this type of teaching content) must analyze and innovate, in order to embed Add Value to these e-learning proposal.
I know more or less deeply the current state in Spain: and I just talked about this point yesterday, in a very illustrative and revealing conversation with Mr. Pedro Aranzadi, Managing Director at Portal Universia, S.A. MiriadaX, and we agreed there is a long way to walk through this key point. Nowadays, the MOOC platforms "Business Model" is, usualy, ask for a price to the student in exchange of a "Verify Certificate", or a "Specialization Certificate" (Coursera)...and people are willing to pay! But realy, it's a pure brand (I mean: prestige) asset, because about ocntents....the course(s) is (are) the same as Free mode. So...where is the real value?
Obviously (and I'm sure we all agree in this point) the true wealth of a MOOC is well pullout in several features:
  • The continuing improvement about skills and knowledge for the participants
  • MOOC system provides an open access to culture for the global community: equal opportunities, no inaccessibility for economic reasons, freedom and cultural self management (realted to our professional interests, maybe to reach a new level up, or discover a new interest area...)
  • To achieve a good quality knowledge level
  • and so on
Today, at least in Spain, there is not any law regulation related to new technologies in learning enviroment, so any one about MOOC,s Certificates. It's still considered as formal (official) education these contents established by the Ministry of Education and Science, which are reflected in the Programme Groups of different educational institutions recognized as such (official): Primary School, High School, Universities...but not the prestigious Business Schools, for instance (even a "Master" certificated by ESADE has a high social and professional value, sometimes higher than a University Title!) SO, in consequence, the Certification is valid competence only in the referred official institutions.
So, the journey that we -all- must undertake demands creativity, innovative spirit, strong commitment to MOOC,s goodness and requierment (here attached below, some personal thoughts):
- envolve the University community into a credit recognizement (something in this way is now starting)
- to demand to the lecturers and contents creators a sort of elevator path through several courses (a kind of itinerary or increasing specialization: higher level of content in each course payable justify added value, with a balance in price that will not break with the principles that gave rise to the category gratuity of value to the training Mooc (there is something yet)
- to stimulate better the feedback loop, the hometasks, quiz, and specialy qualifying systems (peer to peer method is a good idea, but it has risks, as I read few days ago, it must avoid the wises profiles (those who think they know absolutely about something but they're learners as me) and the rookie profile (those who have to qualify my work but they are novices as me, so they inetract less and maybe we don't recieve quality feedback, the real goal of peer to peer system). Maybe...gamification could be a good way to improve this reality!
- Be demanding as participants and force reformulation "business models" to the platforms, teachers, in response to new attitudes of users (eg. being much more selective when choosing a pay course .... this, however it not intended to be a banner of the revolution!)

And, of course, being evangelists (in attitude and verb) of our MOOC crusade: share, explain and seduce your friends, collegues, organization, corporation...about the effective and goodness of MOOC,s. They are an excelent investment (of time and...why not: reasonable money) who is expecting a personal and professional improvement, to meet new people and friends, want to discuss constructively in community and want to build an amazing network and develope a new project, start-up or...enjoying all together. Like...MOOCLab!