Lifelong Learning and Career Advancement on edX: Meet Andreas

edX Blog

We recently talked with Andreas who completed the MicroMasters program in Managing Technology and Innovation from RWTH Aachen University on edX. Here’s what Andreas had to say about his experience earning his MicroMasters credential:

How did you first learn about edX?

I first read about edX in the MIT Technology Review magazine back in 2014. After hearing about it, I signed up. I’ve been an edX member since January 2015.

What were your goals in taking the MicroMasters program in Managing Technology & Innovation: How to Deal with Disruptive Change?

I’ve completed over 15 certifications on edX. The MicroMasters program is something different – it’s a program that runs for almost a year, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could succeed. I also wanted to learn more to help me with my career, as I was dealing with change and transformation in the innovation and technology field.

How did the program help you?

It brought me up to date with the latest information! I didn’t expect to learn so many new things. It also reminded me how to learn, since I haven’t taken any courses since finishing my MBA in 1995. Doing the MicroMasters program reactivated a lot of brain cells.

What did you like most about learning online?

The freedom to decide what and when to study was liberating. Regular trainings in my professional life mean I have to travel and stay in a hotel. With edX, I can learn Saturday and Sundays from 6AM – 9AM from my house! That way, I can still be with my family after they wake up on the weekends.

Did your coursework result in any career or personal outcomes?

My work quality improved. I’m a teacher at a local university, and it gave me new insights on my curriculum. On a personal level, edX reminded me that I love to learn.

What advice would you give new edX students?

For professionals: take two courses. One which is professionally relevant, and one that you find interesting. See how much you learn in one week. Then stick with the course that will give you information that will help you in your career. Get the certificate and put it on LinkedIn! EdX is the best lifelong learning support you can get for your money.

Anything else you’d like to share about your experience with edX and how it has helped to advance your studies?

EdX is such a great service that opens up a magical world of learning opportunities. I am thankful that someone came up with this great idea, and that top universities are sharing their knowledge with the world.

The post Lifelong Learning and Career Advancement on edX: Meet Andreas appeared first on edX Blog.

Continue reading...