Learning to Program: Is it possible to learn C++ and Python at the same time?

Quora Feeds

Trung Ngo Trong

Perfect combination, in other words, it is like a snake with rabbit legs (very fast and "deadly").

Since many people are going to give you a lot of painful phenomenon about memory management, OOP, compiler, high & low level programming language ... I am going to share some of my life experience.

I started as Java progammer (and of course I learnt C/C++ before, at my University as normal courses). Java is my first professional languages, for 2 years I literally "java" everything:
"some guys make a cool C++ library for game physics, let's make another one in java"
"people talking about making webs with php, js ... java can do it also"

I was too conservative, however, I decided to "reach out", I learnt C#, Objectives C, Python, PHP, JS, R. It was not that bad, when you mastered 1 language, you learnt all of them on the fly.
Let say: couple of hours for syntax, then you can search the documentation and start having an idea of what you are going to do.

These are my advices:
  • Whatever are you going to learn, DO NOT learn both of them at the same time. Master one, then you "play" with the other. It is the matter of what you prefer, you learn the hard one now (C++), you make fun with the easy one later (Python).
  • It is about the library not the language (i.e. syntax). I have programmed python for 3 years, web with python - OK, machine learning with python -OK, writing android app with python - OK ... but wait. It is possible but very time-consuming if you have never done it before.
  • It is also about the experience, coding is sometime purely debugging. And whenever I talked about "learn" something, it means I did something.
    Best way to learn programming is programming, literally. You find some interesting project, then do it yourself, you will mess up, of course, but that is how you master it.
    When I learnt java, I started reading book. However, when I started programming my first Android app, everything was just like new. It will be a paintful process, so you need motivation for it. Think about something you want to do, then code it yourself.

btw, I am now doing research in Machine Learning, I use both Python and C++. Sometime I have to switch to R, javascript as well.
Good luck!

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...