Learner Story: A young designer succeeds with Coursera

Coursera Blog

tumblr_inline_ohj7j6gWQ81rg0l34_540.jpg

Astghik Zeynalyan, a student in Armenia, wanted to get a head start on a career in graphic design so she could contribute to her family’s income. With help from Coursera, she built the skills she needed to rebrand her father’s dental clinic and begin working as a freelancer.

As a young woman living in Armenia, it wasn’t easy for me to find work. I wanted to do something, though, to help my parents, who were caring for three children - my two older siblings, both in medical school, and me.

I was interested in creative arts and design, and I found a way to start learning some design skills at a local creative arts academy. I knew that if I wanted to build a career, I needed to learn graphic design and be able to work online as a freelancer. Coursera and the Graphic Design Specialization from California Institute of the Arts made that possible for me. I am very thankful for that Specialization - my professors were all such good people, and skilled professionals.

After I completed the Specialization, my parents moved to another country, and my father needed to re-brand his dental clinic. I was able to use the skills I’d learned on Coursera to help him with the design work, which made me feel so good and proud.

Now, I’m doing some freelancing online and also working on a personal design portfolio. I love that graphic design is connected with everything - where you go, what you see. I’m planning to take the Photography Basics Specialization from Michigan State University on Coursera next, and I’m hoping to pursue a university degree in design.

Continue reading...