If I only know C++, what can I do?

Quora Feeds

Greg Kemnitz

I'd flip the answer a bit and focus on what you can't do if you only know C++:
  • You can't use databases, except for C++ APIs to NoSQL databases (which aren't numerous enough to make for an independent career). Knowing at least some SQL is necessary in most business environments, and even most games have database-backed backend servers for multiplayer, and often there's SQL in there somewhere.
  • You won't know much about shells or shell scripts. If you're doing anything but the most isolated programming, you'll interact with scripting languages, build tools, etc. Knowing a command shell language like bash will make it much easier to automate all manner of tasks, such as writing test scripts, etc.
  • It will take you a relatively long time to code a website. You can code a website completely in C++ - and in the 1990s, many were - but it'll take awhile.
  • If you need to dash off a quick utility, it'll take longer in C++ than it typically would in something like Python.
If you only know C++, you can do a lot, but it'll help to know a few other things as well to round out your skillset.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...