I really, really want to learn to code. However, upon taking classes and practicing (in C),...

Quora Feeds

Matt Pickering

Let me get this straight: You think this situation of debugging, constant unclear/ambiguous errors and confusing logic is going to IMPROVE with time?!?

I can tell you the logic comes with practice. As to the errors, that is likewise part of experience but even then a certain amount of "what does this error mean for my code" will always be there. I often use stack traces for errors when a programmer tells me they don't know what is wrong with their code as educational moments. Especially when I can look at the trace and in 10 seconds know exactly where and what the problem is and it eludes them because they hate the process and want to skip to the results.

Why do you feel programming is important? Why do you want to do it? These issues you are facing are the tip of the iceberg. These are not problems that suddenly go away as you climb the mountain of education and get through the process. It NEVER ends. Ever. If anything, it gets WORSE.

C may not be your best choice to start in but it will give you a hell of a base education. But you'll be facing the same issues in any language to varying degrees since all have these types of issues for the beginner.

All I can tell you is practice and perseverance will make it smoother and easier. This is a multi-year, often lifelong, process of learning. If that doesn't sit well with you facing these types of problems regularly, I would suggest taking a good, hard look at why you're looking to get into this field. This field has a low barrier to entry but a high cost of commitment. If you're not prepared to commit to these types of challenges continuously, I'd recommend looking at a different field.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...