I don't want to learn programming but I feel like I have to for the sake of survival in the...

Quora Feeds

Carlos Matias La Borde

That’s just not true. Billions of people will never gain any useful ability to code. And many of them will do just fine without it. It has nothing to do with survival. It’s nice, it’s powerful, it’s useful in many industries, but it’s far from essential.

If you want something that’s more generally useful than coding, I’d probably go with practical, applied math skills. Coding sometimes comes into this, but not always, and not as the primary driving force.

You can use that shit anywhere. You need to. It can give you an edge anywhere.

Want to plan out your financial future?

Want to do operations research for your company?

Want to do almost any form of scientific research?

Want to work in finance?

Want to make sense of a shitton of data you’ve been given in any application?

Math skills and understanding what tools to use (in statistics, ML), what software to use and how to use it effectively, how to speak intelligently, how to understand reports that you’re given, are already invaluable, general purpose skills.

This isn’t about knowing how to multiple 3 digit numbers in your head. It’s about learning processes and tools and techniques that are generally useful to give you leverage to tackle useful problems in almost any area.

If you want something for “survival in the modern world” go for applied math or something along those lines, not coding.

You don’t need to have a degree for it to be useful, and you’ll likely find it very helpful at some point no matter where you work or what you do.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...