Join a community of online learners

Find your ideal Online Study Buddy

100s of FREE Study Resources

Reviews of Online Course Platforms

Teacher CPD Study Groups

And much more...

Free to Join
Dismiss Notice
Study Buddy Logo Increase your success rate with online courses. Find a Study Buddy to enhance your learning.
Dismiss Notice

Get your exclusive FREE eBook

Download it Now

Ask a question

Discussion in 'MOOC FAQ' started by Carolyn, Dec 15, 2015.

Enter our competition to win 1 of 5 free copies of the Premium Microsoft Excel course with Excel With Business

Enter Now

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Administrator Staff Member

If you have a question you'd like answered about online learning, online courses or MOOCs, this is the place to ask. We will endeavour to answer your question and if we can't, we'll find someone who can!

Just type your question in the reply box, then click on "Post Reply" :)

2. MattB

MattB Active Member Premium Member

What are the best platforms to search for online courses and MOOCs?

3. Carolyn

There are a number of online course and MOOC aggregator sites that allow you to search for courses. To find out more, see MoocLab's reviews and ratings of the different aggregator sites or refer to our Guide: Using Online Course Directories which also features a comparison table.

MattB likes this.
  4. Susan

Susan Member

There is a lot of talk that MOOC platforms are now charging a fee for what they offer. Is it still possible to enrol in a MOOC for free?

5. Carolyn

You are quite right, Susan! MOOC platforms are shifting away from their original "Free" models and now many of their services are paid, such as gaining a verified certificate (free certificates are being phased out) or submitting assignments for grading.
    HOWEVER, you can still access the course content for free :)

MattB likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob Guest

Is it possible to enrol in a MOOC that has already started or already finished?

MattB likes this.
  7. Carolyn

You can ususally enrol on a MOOC that has already started, although if you wish to complete the course from beginning to end, make sure you have enough time to meet the deadlines.
    Often finished courses will run again at another time and many platforms allow you to add a course to your watch list so you get notified when the course is due to run again.
    There are also an increasing number of on-demand courses which allow you to enrol at any time.

MattB likes this.
  8. Bluebeard

Bluebeard Member

What are the best free resources to learn data science?

9. MattB

MattB Active Member Premium Member

Thanks Carolyn :)

10. Carolyn

11. CS geek

CS geek Guest

What is the best MOOC platform for computer science courses?

12. Carolyn

Most of the main MOOC platforms offer computer science courses, but I would suggest Udacity if you're looking for one in particular.

13. Helen B.

Helen B. Guest

Hi,
    i just recently got introduced into moocs, but my Internet is not always reliable. Do you have any advice on how I can get around this problem?
    Thanks

14. Carolyn

In many cases, you can download the video files to your computer. You'll need a video player on your computer to view downloaded videos.

On Coursera:
    1. Select a video from the course content page
    2. Scroll down to view discussions and resources below the video player
    3. Select the Lecture Video option from the Downloads menu in the right-hand sidebar
    4. Open the downloaded file in a video player program of your choice
    On edX:
    Go to "Download video here" right below each lecture video and click on the link

On FutureLearn:
    Click on the download icon (second icon in the top right corner of the video). The video should open in another tab. You can then right click and save it to your desktop.

Udacity:
    Downloadable course materials are available under the Downloadables header in course dashboards and in the Classroom. You can download .zip files of videos in .mp4 format and transcripts in .srt format for all Udacity courses. Offline viewing will require a separate video player.

Hope that helps :)

15. Helen B.

Helen B. Guest

Thank you so much :D

Carolyn likes this.
  16. Ajay Sharma

Ajay Sharma New Member Premium Member Study Buddy

Is there any platform for online SAS programming certification??

17. Carolyn

18. Ahmed Samaila

Ahmed Samaila New Member Premium Member Study Buddy

Main Subject Category:
    Computer Science

Write a program that counts up the number of vowels contained in the string s. Valid vowels are: 'a', 'e', 'i', 'o', and 'u'. For example, if s = 'azcbobobegghakl', your program should print:

19. Carolyn

Hi Ahmed,
    I'm afraid your question doesn't relate to online learning, and I'm unsure what it is your are asking exactly. You could try asking our members who have knowledge in data science: Click here to view members.

20. suneel chittamuru

suneel chittamuru New Member

Main Subject Category:
    Business

Dear sir/madam
    I am interested in vannamei culture course.can you please give me course duration and fees.i heard kufos best in aquaculture. Thank you

Just type your question in the reply box below, then click on "Post Reply" :)[/QUOTE]