What is something useful about Engineering you can teach within 10 minutes and make me feel...

Quora Feeds

Russell Nagami

Working as an engineer, I use maybe 1% of the things I learned in college/graduate school (I do a lot of programming and learned to program in HS). The most important thing I learned was how to think, and how engineers think is something useful you can learn the basics of in less than 10 minutes.

When solving a problem the general procedure is:
Write down the problem you want to solve clearly. Pictures help.
List your assumptions about the problem, and check them.
List what you know that might be useful (equations typically in engineering) and make a plan.
Do the work (plug what you know into equations in engineering)
Check your solution for sanity (if it takes 1mm x 1mm piece of steel to suspend a bridge, you're probably forgetting something).

I had an engineering example, but it would be boring to a non-engineer. Let's apply this thought process to losing weight.

First, define the problem:
- I want to lose weight.
Not good enough. You don't really want to lose weight, you want to look sexy and attract whatever floats your boat, as well as live longer.
- I want to look and feel good.
Better, but not measurable.
- I want to lower my BF% to 15%, get 5 of my friends/family to comment on how much better I look, and improve my HDL/LDL cholesterol ratio by X%.
There you go! Something you can measure that is directly tied to what you actually want.

List your assumptions and check them:
Here are some assumptions people may have that I think are BS. Feel free to have your own opinion.
  • I am fat because of my genetics. (BS, this is an excuse. Even if it's true, look for programs specifically for your needs.)
  • If I eat less I can lose weight. (BS, if it was this easy, everyone would be thin)
  • If I run it will help me meet my goal. (BS, if you're overweight you're just going to destroy your knees)
  • Fruits are healthy. (BS, they're basically pure sugar)
So a lot of your assumptions may be wrong.

So what can you do to get new assumptions? Read a book. Read 10. Read forums, read reddit, and talk to people at the gym for more ideas of more books to read. Here's my suggestions: Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss, Get Stronger With The StrongLifts 5x5 Routine by Mehdi , Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, The Great Cholesterol Con by Kendrick, something on Paleo, Omnivore's dilemma by Polan, and Good Calories Bad Calories by Taubes. Of course reading takes time, so you can just follow a program and assume that they did all the work for you, but you better choose well!

Now you have a new set of assumptions to operate under.

List what you know and make a plan: From the last step, you now know a lot of things you can list that you think will help you achieve your goal (solve your defined problem). You can list these if you want.

Put together a 2 sheet workout and diet. If it's longer than 2 pages, it's probably not effective. Watch "I want to look like that guy" (http://iwanttolooklikethatguy.com/), he goes from typical overweight American (he may be Canadian) to winning a bodybuilding competition in something like 6 or 9 months. His entire regimen is written on one page. If you think that's impossible, you clearly need to check your assumptions again. Or call him a liar and enjoy your miserable short sighted life.

Do the work: Follow the plan you put together.

Check for sanity: Check your program for sanity at the beginning and periodically. Compare with your assumptions and check again.

So, how does thinking like an engineer compare to how most people would solve the problem of trying to lose weight and be healthy? And you learned it all in less than 10 minutes.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Quora Feeds

Mithil Kamble

A2A

It's really an interesting question! Thank you Raj for A2A.

When I think of really cool things I can explain in 5 minutes, different subjects pop in my mind. Therefore I will enumerate a few things topic wise.

Thermodynamics:

I can teach you how refrigerators keep things cold using basic principles of thermodynamics. You can explore a bit more and figure out how AC units, chillers and heaters work as the basic principle used in them is same as refrigerator.
Cool part will be the one where I explain you how room heats up when you keep the refrigerator door open.

Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z...Read:
Q & A: Open Refrigerator

Automobile Engineering:

I can teach you how the fuel you put in actually makes the tires rotate. What role differential and gearbox play. How do brakes stop the car and why you can't use water instead of brake fluid of your car.
We can add a bit of aerodynamics to learn why F1 cars use a metal plate at rear (spoilers) to increase their performance, that is really cool.

Here's a comprehensive link:
HowStuffWorks "How Cars Work"
(this might take more than five minutes if you want to read up all the links given)

And,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A...

Material science:

I can teach you what is steel, mild steel, alloy steel and so on. And why we don't use mild steel to make razors and why we can't use superior stainless steel everywhere.
You can even be surprised by explaining steel is more elastic than rubber. Yes, you read it right.

The links:
Classification of Carbon and Low-Alloy Steels :: KEY to METALS Articles

Is rubber or steel more elastic?

Cryogenics:

I can explain you what is the minimum temperature that a body can attain (0 K). And what are different ways to attain such low temperatures.
Cool thing that you will learn is if you manage to cool your electrical wires to 0 K, you will never have to pay electricity bill!

[Edit: As Paul Arssov mentions in the comment. The bill wouldn't exactly be zero as we still would be paying for the load that we attach to the circuit. However, the bill would be considerably less]

Read:
Absolute zero
and,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...

- these are only few facts which I could gather from the top of my head. I will try to update later, the list is unending anyways. Once you get into mechanical engineering you will be mesmerized by its' beauty and coolness.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...