Self-taught programmers, have any of you created a curriculum for yourself?

Quora Feeds

Jin Suk Park

I never knew anything about programming before I took introductory programming class in my first semester of freshmen year.

As a ME student I had to teach myself without taking CS classes during semester so I simply went through all the lecture notes on Data structures, OOP, and I also did assignments that were handed out during semester. I also did some class projects in standford (i.e. Pintos)

Aside from those 'academic programming', I got into hacking club in my school, where I learned linux, python, unix api programming, and a general sense of how to teach myself by googling. I also had to learn how to hack websites so I taught myself web dev in w3school.

I generally know more than my CS friends, not because I took more classes than them but because I kept asking questions anything how computer works. So keep asking questions - how does compiler work? How does facebook remember me?

Some stuff are too sophisticated to be on google. Thats when you go to amazon and buy the book.

EDIT:

I didnt' write the details because my phone was short on battery. This is the path I taught myself: (in order)
1. C/C++
2. Data Structures
3. Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective
Gives you a better grasp of how computer works and what you would be dealing with when you become a developer. I think this is something that distinguishes self-taught programmer and formally educated programmer.
4. Operating Systems Concepts(The dinosaur book)
I finished the pintos project( course project in OS class in stanford).

After you read these, it entirely depends on which part of computer science you want to stress on. I excluded those frameworks/language/linux because I think they are something to get used to by laying hands on, not to be studied so seriously. Although people distinguish 'formally educated' programmer, I doubt they apply more knowledge than they have learnt from above list when developing. (Of course, some sophisticated subjects such as vision processing, graphics, algorithms require further studies).

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...