Is eLearning as effective as traditional instruction?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

MDH

We're talking about two very different things here. It's a different offering and a different market. One doesn't preclude the other.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
It would be great to know which MOOC you think is the best you've taken so far and why.

Post your replies below.

Simon Morice

The Future of Storytelling from iVersity was the first that I took, and remains the best experience so far. It was a well structured course. The presenters were engaging. The video presentations were well thought through rather than streams of consciousness. The tasks were entirely appropriate and challenged orthodoxy. Overall I felt it to be good CPD and helped me toward my own career objectives.

Ellen Rich

Social Psychology. The challenge, breathe, and new wisdom I picked up about myself and others. Over 200,000 signed up. 5000 made it to the exam and 3000 passed. I passed! A huge accomplishment for me. Was at the graduate level. Not being taught in 2015, but may come back in 2016.

Simon Morice

That sounds great. Have you taken many MOOCs?
About four in all. I was quite disappointed by some. I am now much more wary about investing my time and effort into 'we're on the bandwagon too' offerings comprising recycled lectures from courses.

There has to be a different approach to craft training from that of academic study. But then the lack of differentiation could be a reflection of the burgeoning of degrees in non-academic subjects such as broadcast/film, journalism and football studies.

Nina

Yes I agree. lots of new MOOC "developers" out there offering very poor content. Unfortunately they damage the overall reputation of online courses. It's important to check out the providers before wasting your time studying something which isn't any good.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
MOOC World is clearly hung up on low completion rates which are often lower than 5%.

Are completion rates the right variable to judge the success of a MOOC?

Join the debate and post your thoughts below.

Jaffa

It depends from what side you're looking at it. If you're a MOOC provider, then yes of course it matters...a great deal. If you spend a lot of money developing and publishing a course, naturally you want a lot of students to finish the course otherwise it's not viable.
If you're the person who takes a MOOC, it doesn't matter as everyone has different reasons for taking it in the first place. Some people like to browse the content and just do the units that interest them whilst others want to gain a certificate from it for professional development purposes. But it makes no odds to them how many other people complete the course.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
‘Learners learn more using computer-based instruction than they do with conventional ways of teaching, as measured by higher post-treatment test scores.’

This was the conclusion of a nine-year survey of the research literature in training published by Fletcher and Tobias in ‘Training and Retraining’, commissioned by the American Psychological Society.

Do you agree?

Nina

I find I can focus more on an online course. That said, you don't get the social interaction that you get from being in a classroom which often helps with learning. It probably depends on the actual course, I imagine.

Jaffa

E-learning could never offer the benefits of a traditionally taught course. It should be used as a supplement for blended learning which improves the overall learning experience.

Bluebeard

Learner completion rates will be low if the quality, delivery and candidate perception of value are not high enough. MOOC publishers need to be aware of this.

Nina

Senior associate dean of executive education at the McDonough School of Business, Paul Almeida:

"I really don’t think MOOCs will even make the slightest bit of difference.”