New mobile features: Transcripts, notes, reminders, and offline

Coursera Blog

By Jake Samuelson, Senior Product Manager, Coursera

Do you use Coursera’s mobile apps to learn on the train? In your car? Under the table during a really boring meeting (we won’t tell)? Maybe you’ve downloaded videos to watch while traveling, or submitted a quiz at the last minute on mobile. Or maybe – like nearly 20% of our learners – you’re completing entire courses on mobile, relying exclusively on your phone or tablet to access Coursera.

Because so many of you are learning on mobile – either occasionally or constantly – we’ve developed a first-class mobile experience, and ensured that 95%+ of our 2000 courses can be taken from beginning to end via our apps.

We’re also constantly looking for ways to improve our mobile learning experience. This week, we’re excited to launch three big improvements — transcripts, mobile notes, and personalized reminders. All of these features are tailored for mobile learning, while notes are currently only available on mobile.

1. Transcripts on mobile — iOS and Android

Last year, we added video text transcripts to our web experience. You can follow along with the video by reading the transcript, and jump to a key moment in the video by clicking a line in the transcript. Now, transcripts are available on mobile, too.

transcript-for-verna.gif

You might love this new feature if you:

• Prefer to learn by reading, rather than just watching a video
  • Often learn on mobile in a public place, without headphones, and need to keep the sound down
  • Use mobile videos to review concepts, and need to jump to certain explanations or examples – selecting a line in the transcript makes navigating the video much easier
  1. Take notes on mobile — iOS

Many of you have requested one particular mobile feature – the ability to take notes or bookmark points on videos. We’re excited to announce that this feature is now available in our iOS app.

I’ve been using test versions of this feature myself, and loving it. Last week I was studying for a class called From Freedom Rides to Ferguson, from Emory University. During one video, I was struck by a story about a Civil Rights march in Selma, Alabama. With a few clicks of my thumb, I took a note. As you can see below, my note included a screenshot of the clip, a transcript snippet, and my own thoughts.

note-for-verna.gif

You can also review your notes from each course through the app. Here is an example of the notes review experience from my course:

note-review-for-verna.gif

Notes will be coming to Android and web soon, so stay tuned!

1. Set reminders to learn on mobile — Android

If you’re like me, your week can get away from you, and long-term goals like learning are often the first thing to slide. I always try to fit my Coursera studying in on the weekend – but I have two kids under 3, so weekends can get pretty hectic.

My best opportunity to learn is usually while my oldest son naps. I’ve always wanted to be able to set a reminder to open up Coursera at 5pm on Sunday – and now I can use Coursera’s app for Android to do just that:

notificationMovie.gif

We hope these new features make learning on mobile even more convenient and productive for you!

The post New mobile features: Transcripts, notes, reminders, and offline appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...