Is getting a verified certificate from edx MITx worth the money? Do I really need a...

Quora Feeds

Erik Doey

My answer would be you don't need, but if you can afford and enjoy the courses, it's nice to do so. Some thoughts:

• The honor code certs are being phased out. In the future there will only be the verified certs left. edX was smart enough to know Honor Code certs were just candies that provide some appreciation to learners, but worth none. They knew this, but the problem is, too many people are trying to misrepresent those Honor code certs as valid credentials, which hurt both the verified certs' credibility and also edX credibility.
  • Professionalism: verified certs look better. Even though I know the verified certs don't really provide 100% proof against cheating, I still purchase them because they are the real proof of my commitment to helping both my credibility and also the credibility of the providers.
  • Fairness to the institution: I feel they are entitled to being financially supported, after they deliver so much of their content and expertise to the world, they deserve to be compensated, even though they didn't ask to. I took the first few courses free. Hell, I felt bad. I spent 30 hours of my life on the first course, benefited from their knowledge for 30 hours, but didn't give anything back. I just felt bad. In real life I spent like 50 bucks on one frivolous weekend dinner. From that point on, I went out for expensive dinners less, and purchase some certificates from them to show my appreciation and as a way of thank-you to them.
  • Fairness to other verified cert pursuers: this is the thing I feel most strongly about. Even though I haven't completed 10+ courses on edX, I was very quick to realize that the existence of Honor Code certs, even though providing great joy to many people, are actually hurting the credibility of the verified certs. Why? Simple: confusion. Imagine I'm an employer and suddenly 2 candidates show up: one show me the honor code cert and verified cert. I would have a headache and basically dismiss both. Well, that's just unfair to the people who invested in the verified certificate..

Conclusion: whether you're on edX or Coursera or MITx or whatsoever: if you have the money, and the course justifies the cost (I admit there are courses that are flat-out not worth it, I will not say which ones), by all means, the verified cert is the best thing to go for.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...