How do programming languages work together?

Quora Feeds

Carlos Matias La Borde

I'll give you an example.

I have an iOS app that I wrote in Objective-C. I need it to connect to a large existing infrastructure in the back end via the web. It only needs to send and receive data every once in a while, when the user wants it.

So I wrote something in PHP that hooks into the existing REXX infrastructure and created an endpoint.

Now I have the Objective-C application send and receive data via POST to PHP. It uses XML for its format for simplicity reasons. Then the PHP does something with REXX and some PHP file work, and returns a result via a POST response.

So it uses 3 languages that all work together.

That's just one example. Other common examples include JS as a front end and anything else as a back end, or say a Node end point that passes it off to Java to do some heavy lifting with a specific application, or something that connects to a DB or a shell script, etc.

You just pick whatever works best for the job and make them play together. There tend to be some common stacks of technologies (not languages per say, but close enough), like LAMP or MEAN, but really you can use whatever you need.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...