How can I lose my insecurity about not being as good as programmers who started in their...

Quora Feeds

Jon Gold

The best thing about learning (or re-learning) as an adult is you learn smarter than you did where you were younger.

I've been writing HTML since I was 8, but 12+ years of my experience was learning badly and messing around. Certainly we didn't have our community, or the fantastic holistic learning resources that are around today.

Someone learning to code in their 20s has a massive leg-up with the community & resources we have, and the extra experience of learning how to learn.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Quora Feeds

Robi Brunner

There may be people who are better than you, have more experience than you, are just plain talented as hell...

Get used to it. That's the real world.

That will *always* be the case no matter what stage in life you're at. In fact, you can even go ask those people that are at the top of their game and there will always be people they look up to and want to be like. They themselves are always feeling like they need to reach their own competition.

What will enable you to "catch up" is to remain interested in learning and becoming better at what you love doing. That motivation will allow you to get to where you want to go, even if gradually.

Just make sure you love what you do.

That is probably the single biggest boost you'll be able to get when trying to do anything.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Quora Feeds

Jorge Rybar

Those 10,000 hours that you didn't spend coding, you spent LIVING. That gives you a different type of advantage. Maybe you are more social than other coders, or more artistic or entrepreneurial or concerned about society etc. Someday these additional lessons that you learned will be helpful and enable you to think in ways that others can't. Maybe you'll come up with the next great idea for a startup, or end up becoming a UI designer, or social entrepreneur. Use a vision like this to motivate you daily.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...