Do you have over a million energy points on Khan Academy? If so, post about why/how you...

Quora Feeds

Erica Friedman

I do, as of just this moment.

I read this question 3 months ago, and decided at that point to join Khan Academy and really apply myself. I had a great 7th grade math teacher, but after that, for one reason or another, my math education was not terribly good. And all of that was more than 30 years ago. It had been a very, very long time since I did math class.

So, three months ago, I started at the most basic levels, with the first goal of completing 7th grade math. Some of the skills in KA for 7th grade were not skills I ever learned in math at any level, so 7th grade took me a good month or more. (I have a lot of problems with rate problems, it seems.)

My secondary goal is to pass 8th grade. I'm about 75% done. After that, I'l just see where I go. I enjoy Algebra, so I hope to complete that as a third goal. I hated Geometry and Trig in school, but my teachers were genuinely incompetent, so I am very interested to see if it makes more sense this time around.

Tangentially, I wanted to see how long it would take me to get a million points. I'm not a gamer, so points aren't really important, but I have been spending about 30-40 minutes most days on the site, watching videos and practicing skills. Some days I'm a little more focused than others. ^_^

Now that I'm at the point of having re-learned everything I knew, every day is more concentration-consuming. I can't wing my way through Mastery Challenges. And I watch a lot more videos now than I did at first.

The whole process has been absolutely fascinating for me. I have learned a lot about how I learn and take tests...and I realize now how I did so well at standardized tests all those years in school. I have a skill or a cheat or a hack that I am now calling "test head," an ability to recognize a pattern and replicate it - even if I do not understand it or why it should be that way. In that way I can get the answers right, even if I do not understand the reasoning behind them. Quite often I find myself getting the answer right then watching the video to figure out what it was. (I had a huge fight with a teacher in college who did not believe I could do this.)

In conclusion, this question is directly responsible for me getting the Newton badge and passing a million points. Thanks! Onward!

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...