Can I go from noob to employable software developer in 8 months?

Quora Feeds

David Thompson

Let me be a bit tough on you, as all I have to go by is what you have written. I apologize in advance if this might sound somewhat harsh. Having been a software developer years ago, I tell you from personal experience that it takes a special personality to make it in this profession. If you are attracted by the big money, but do not have the personality nor aptitude for this profession, you’re not going to survive, and your time wasted. You have no computer knowledge? How is it that you think you would be interested in this career field? It is a demanding field, and when you make a mistake in software, it can cost your employer thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars. Unlike popular myth, this profession is stressful, believe me!

OK, for argument sake, let’s say you have a little computer experience, and have caught the “programming bug.” You love programming, and want to make a career of it in 8 months’ time. And you propose to devote a mere 40 hours per week to this endeavor? The top programmers get themselves to the top by working 14+ hour days, every day, because they absolutely love the profession. Again, if you’re in it for the money, and willing to only put in a regular 40 hour work-week to learn, I advise you to turn your career aspirations elsewhere.

I started back in the Cobol, IBM Mainframe days, it was tough then. It is 100 times tougher now. Today, as a start: you not only must know a powerful programming language and all the language constructs associated with it. Java, I believe is still top of the list, but there are many who would disagree with this. You also need to thoroughly understand object-oriented programming, and how to instantiate classes, etc. On top of knowing your language of choice, you must know internet protocol calls, relational database design, structured query language, and a whole bunch more acronyms. I’m sorry to say, but you have an enormous learning curve, too big to make in 8 months, starting from minimal knowledge.

I hesitated to post my response. I just about deleted it several times, but I want you to approach this decision with your eyes open, I sincerely hope this post helps you.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...