A Peek into Coursera’s Global Translator Community

Coursera Blog

Have you ever wondered how Coursera’s lecture subtitles are translated? Do you speak a foreign language and want to be a part of Coursera’s Global Translator Community (GTC)?

The GTC is a community of Coursera learners who help make the world’s best online educational content more accessible through translation. Since 2014, the GTC have translated 50K+ Coursera videos and 700+ courses into more than 40 languages. September 30th is International Translation Day and this year, we held a week long competition to celebrate it. Here are the two winners stories:

Diana Guerrero Paz

I was born in Madrid, Spain. I translate from English to Spanish, and I have translated nearly 800K words on Coursera so far. I studied Classical Philology at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and became a member of GTC in April, 2016.

Courses I have helped translate include: The Arts and Science of Relationships: Understanding Human Needs, Organizational Behaviour: How to Manage People and Advertising and Society.

I translated Coursera courses because I wanted to know more about these subjects. The translating process was fun and I want to keep learning by translating.

The idea of spreading knowledge by having only a computer is a wonderful one. I am very proud of being able to help translate Coursera courses. Although I am only translating into Spanish and I have only helped with a few courses, it’s my grain of sand to this great and significant project.

Artem Basenko

I am from Nizhny Tagil, Russia and currently I work as a Senior Engineer for Huawei. I have been a member of the GTC since May 2015 and a Language Coordinator for the Russian community since May 2016.

I have translated more than 10 courses and the most memorable ones are A Life of Happiness and Fulfillment, From the Big Bang to Dark Energy, and Learning How to Learn. My current goal is to reach the top 10 of the GTC leaderboard, and to do so I tend to translate 4-5 lectures a week. I strive not to simply match the translation to the instructor’s speech, but to really convey the content in an accessible form.

Start your own translation journey here!

The post A Peek into Coursera’s Global Translator Community appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...