A new mom becomes a Mentor—and then a teacher

Coursera Blog

From the moment Gabriela learned that she was pregnant with her son, she knew she wanted him to grow up speaking both English and Spanish. Hoping to polish her own English skills, and to get a few tips for coaching a bilingual student, she enrolled in the Teach English Now! Specialization from Arizona State University on Coursera.

After three courses, she realized she’d stumbled on a passion for ESL instruction. Her grades and participation earned her an invitation to join Coursera’s Community Mentor program, and she became a Teach English Now Mentor—an experience that turned out to be transformative.

“The knowledge I gained from being a Mentor proved to me that I possess leadership skills and I have value to offer,” Gabriela says. She gained so much confidence, in fact, that she decided to finally pursue her dream career in language teaching. She’s continuing to build skills to help her advance in her new profession—she’s currently enrolled in English for Teaching Purposes and The Bilingual Brain.

Gabriela says that the Coursera community has been an essential ingredient in her personal and career growth. “I feel supported and connected, and like I’m part of something bigger than myself,” she explains. “I’m confident that I am a great ESL teacher, and that I’ll help many people reach their language goals.”

The post A new mom becomes a Mentor—and then a teacher appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...