A L’Oreal manager embraces Coursera

Coursera Blog

In 2016, L’Oreal became one of Coursera’s first enterprise customers, and began sponsoring employee enrollment in courses. The international cosmetics brand hopes that their Coursera program will foster a company-wide culture of learning, in which employees at all levels feel empowered to develop their job skills and advance their careers. We spoke with one L’Oreal learner – Kittisak Anansitichok of Bangkok, Thailand – who jumped at the opportunity to learn on Coursera. Here’s what Kittisak told us about his experience:

I started my in-house Public Relations career as PR Manager for Lancôme at L’Oreal Thailand, and was then promoted to PR and Communications Manager for the LUXE division. I directly manage a PR Supervisor, and I lead a team of PR managers who are assigned to the various LUXE brands.

As a manager and leader, I think being a good coach is one of the most important ways for me to add value to the team. When the Coursera courses were announced, I decided to take the course Managing as a Coach, from the University of California, Davis.

The course content was clear and concise, with all of the concepts explained by an expert. I’ve been able to apply the skills I learned to empathize with my team at a more personal level, and to personalize my management and coaching techniques for each of team member’s unique background. Now, when a member of my team makes a mistake, rather than judging them, I pause and try to put myself in their shoes. If they did something wrong because they didn’t have the right information or skills, I try to act as a mentor to help them learn and solve the problem.

I have a very full schedule, and I’ve been asked how I made time for this course with all of my hobbies and work commitments. For me, though, I think it’s about how I manage my life. We all get 24 hours every day – it’s about what we do with that time. I really wanted to take the course, so it was not hard to make the time. And I’m glad I did, because I believe the skills I learned will really improve my team’s performance.

I love that Coursera has provided a central place where I can find everything I need for my career development. I’m now looking for my next course, and I’m excited to continue to learn.

The post A L’Oreal manager embraces Coursera appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...