Why is CS education in the US so poor despite the obvious demand?

Quora Feeds

Hadi Partovi

There are two reasons because CS education in US schools is so poor: because it's (relatively) new, and it's unfamiliar to the adults. It's hard for educators to teach something they never learned - it's hard to even grapple with the idea of it. I would be intimidated if you asked me to teach something I'd never learned before, especially if it sounded all scary and rocket-science-like.
This isn't a US-only problem. The U.S. may be falling behind all the other developed countries in math and science education, but in computer science, we're all behind. And when it comes to computer science education, the U.S. is actually leading the path for many of the developed countries.
The picture will be very different in 10 years. In just 2 years, all of the largest cities in the U.S. have embraced computer science an announced multi-year plans to add it into the core curriculum: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, Houston, Oakland, San Francisco. Almost 100 other cities have followed. Entire states are rolling out computer science as a statewide initiative - such as Arkansas, Idaho, Utah, or Alabama. For a country as large as the U.S., this is an unprecedented change, and every American should be proud about it.
I'm not sure a similar trend has occurred at this speed in another "industry", because this isn't about an "industry." Computer science impacts every industry. But you can see when the industrial revolution happened, and the needs of all industries changed, it had a ripple effect on all education. When the space-race started in the U.S., physics classes spread throughout U.S. schools. What's happening in computer science is similar, except it's happening almost 10 times faster.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...