- Best for:
- People working in epidemics, pandemics and health emergencies
- Epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases, emerging pathogens, emergency response, social science
- Type of learning:
- Video, audio, presentation slides, social
- Course type:
- English & French
- Confirmation of participation in some courses
- Mobile Apps:
- iOS & Android
OpenWHO is The World Health Organization’s new, interactive, web-based platform that offers free open online courses to people preparing to work in epidemics, pandemics and health emergencies or already doing so.
The OpenWHO platform delivers WHO’s and partners’ expertise closer to where it is needed and provides information in user-friendly formats for frontline responders and decision-makers. The platform is managed by WHO’s Department for Infectious Hazards Management, in Geneva, Switzerland.
Users take part in a worldwide, social learning network that is based on interactive, online courses and materials covering a variety of subjects. OpenWHO also serves as a forum for the fast sharing of public health expertise and in-depth discussion and feedback on key issues.
OpenWHO courses are free and open to anyone wishing to register. They are available in English and French and are delivered in a self-paced format with off-line downloads, peer discussion boards and live briefings from ongoing health emergencies.
The courses are categorised into 4 channels:
Currently, only some of the courses offer a downloadable confirmation of participation, but the platform plans to add a confirmation of participation for more of their existing courses soon.
- Outbreak - easy-to-digest courses for frontline responders and decision-makers on major known epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases as well as emerging pathogens.
- Ready for Response - pre-deployment briefings and training to prepare personnel for response
- Get Social - courses and resources on social science interventions in outbreak and emergency response
- GOARN - The Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network is a technical partnership established by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a key mechanism to engage the resources of technical agencies for rapid identification, confirmation and response to major international public health emergencies.
All OpenWHO content is compatible with mobile. OpenWHO apps are available for IOS and Android devices
Tools & Features
- 35+ free open online courses
- Offline downloads
- Peer discussion boards
- Live briefings
- User dashboard
- Progress tracking
- Confirmation of participation (on some courses)
- iOS & Android Apps
MOOC Platform OpenWHO
Rate this provider - Select a star rating:Go to Website
Share this Item
Rate this provider - Select a star rating:
To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!