- Best for:
- Higher Education students, Professionals, General interest
- Arts & Humanities, Sciences, Technology, Social Sciences, Education, Business
- Type of learning:
- Academic, Professional
- Course type:
- Video, audio and reading material, with short quizzes and assignments
- Learning pathways:
- Mobile Apps:
- No, but the platform is designed to work on smartphones, tablets and desktop computers
FutureLearn is a UK-based MOOC platform wholly owned by The Open University and The SEEK Group, and offers a diverse selection of free courses from leading universities and internationally renowned organisations from around the world.
Users can browse the individual course list or take advantage of one of FutureLearn's "Collections", a hand-picked selection of free online courses, to help learners discover a new passion, understand a subject in depth or become an expert in a particular field.
In addition to taking individual courses, learners can enrol in Programs to master a subject in depth with the possibility to earn academic credit or professional accreditation.
Students benefit from free access to Futurelearn courses, but can also opt to "Upgrade" to gain unlimited access to the course, for as long as it exists on FutureLearn, access to course tests and a Certificate of Achievement on completion of the course. Courses are delivered one step at a time via video, audio and reading material, with short quizzes and assignments. It is a private company owned by the Open University, with the benefit of over 40 years of their experience in distance learning and online education.
Tools & Features
- 6.5 million+ learners
- 400+ courses
- 20 learning pathway programs
- 130+ partner institutions
- Video, audio and reading material, quizzes & tests
- Peer review assignments on some courses
- Transferable university credit on some course programs
- Course Upgrades
- User profiles
- Content-linked discussion forums
- Course dashboard
- Exams available on some courses
- No Mobile apps currently, but the platform is designed to work on smartphones, tablets and desktop computers
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students who successfully complete an upgraded course. Students who opt to take the free version of a course also have the option to buy a Certificate of Achievement.
FutureLearn offers programs of courses allowing students to earn academic credit, professional accreditation and other awards. For more information, see MOOCs for Credit programs on FutureLearn.
In partnership with Deakin University, Futurelearn currently offers 4 fully online Master's Degrees in Cyber Security, Information Technology, Humanitarian and Development Action and Leadership. Find out more here
MOOC Platform FutureLearn
Rate this provider - Select a star rating:Go to Website
Share this Item
Rate this provider - Select a star rating:
To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!