- Best for:
- High School students, Higher Education students, Professional, General interest
- Sciences, Technology, Arts & Humanities, IT, Social Sciences, Business, Education
- Type of learning:
- Mostly academic with some professional education courses
- Course type:
- Free & Paid. Mostly scheduled courses with some self-paced. Learning pathways.
- Most courses are offered in English
- Learning pathways:
- Mobile Apps:
- iOS & Android
EdX offers interactive online classes and MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) from the world’s top universities, colleges and organizations. With more than 90 global partners, EdX currently has 2,300+ faculty and staff teaching over 950 courses. Courses are free with the exception of professional education courses.
In addition to individual courses, edX also offers Xseries, a series of related modules or courses in a specific subject, and courses and programs with the option to gain college credit. (See below for more details).
The course format includes tools, videos and game-like labs. EdX is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and is a non-profit initiative created by founding partners Harvard and MIT.
Tools & Features
- 950+ courses (free & paid)
- 90+ partner institutions
- Demo course
- Interactive videos
- Downloadable video segments in some courses
- Video transcripts
- XSeries: series of courses in a specific subject
- Learning dashboard
- Peer-to-peer social learning tools
- Course discussion forums
- In-person meet-ups
- Mobile apps - iOS & Android
Verified certificates: (Minimum cost $50 to $150) Certifies that you have successfully completed your edX course and verifies your identity through your photo and ID. Verified certificates are only available in some courses and are available for a fee that varies by course. Check your individual course details for more information. Honor code certificates are available in others. With the exception of professional education courses, all edX courses can be audited for free. If you audit a verified certificate course and pass, you will not receive a verified certificate, but you can participate in any or all activities and exams.
XSeries: (Cost $50 to $450) A series of courses. XSeries certificates are earned by successfully completing an XSeries.
Credits: edX has partnered with a variety of institutions to offer credit-eligible courses:
- MicroMasters with edX
- MIT Micro-Master's Credential in Supply Chain Management on edX
- edX ACE Alternative Credit Project
- Credit Through Charter Oak State College with edX
- ‘Freshman Year for Free’ Program: Texas State University System with edX
- Arizona State University freshman courses with edX
See MoocLab's Review & Rating
Have you used this learning platform? If so, please log in or sign up to rate and review this item. Just hover the cursor over the stars and select the number of stars you wish to award. You can then add your review if you wish.
MOOC Platform EdX
Share this Item
Pere Toledano likes this.
Recent User Reviews
To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!