- National STEM Learning Centre
- 3 weeks
- 3 hours/week
- Paid Certificate Available
Help students understand physics through practicals
Physics can be a challenging topic for students, it is essential that they practice and embed their understanding of practical skills in preparation for assessment of their learning.
This course, specially designed for teachers, will allow you to discuss the relationship between theoretical physics concepts and practical work, challenging you to think about the classroom and what your students are learning through practical work. You will also develop creative ways of teaching practical physics with approaches that are applicable to a range of situations including GCSE required practicals.
The course has been designed as CPD for teachers of science subjects for 14-16 year olds. Teachers of physics, early career teachers, returning teachers, non-specialist teachers, technicians and teaching assistants will gain from the peer learning and resources available on this course.
Learn from national CPD subject leaders, the experience of other teachers and access high quality supporting resources throughout this course.
Access to a laboratory is recommended in order for you to evaluate approaches to practical work during this course.
What topics will you cover?
- Practical work for 14-16 year olds in the topics of radiation, waves and electric circuits.
- Contextualising practical work in physics to the everyday environment.
- How progression in practical work impacts on students’ learning.
- Assessment of learning through practical work.
- Approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas.
- Go to Course: