- National STEM Learning Centre
- 3 weeks
- 3 hours/week
- Paid Certificate Available
Improve student learning in biology practical lessons
There are only so many ways a student can look at an onion cell, so how do we engage students with biology practicals?
On this course you will discuss the relationship between theoretical concepts and practical work, and consider closely what is happening in your own classroom during biology practicals.
You will also develop and share creative ways of teaching practical biology with approaches that are applicable to a range of situations including GCSE required practicals.
The course has been designed as CPD for teachers of science subjects for 14-16 year olds. Teachers of biology, early career teachers, returning teachers, non-specialist teachers, technicians and teaching assistants will gain from the peer learning and resources available on this course.
Learn from national CPD subject leaders, the experience of other teachers and access high quality supporting resources throughout this course.
Access to a laboratory is recommended in order for you to evaluate approaches to practical work during this course.
What topics will you cover?
- Practical work for 14-16 year olds for the key topics of: enzymes, microscopy and microbiology.
- Contextualising practical work in biology to the everyday environment.
- How progression in practical work impacts on students’ learning.
- Assessment of learning through practical work in biology.
- Approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas.
- Go to Course: