- The Open University
- 3 hours/week
- 4 weeks
- Paid Certificate Available
Understand the foundations of management and leadership
This online course will provide an introduction to the foundation skills and knowledge you need when becoming a manager.
It has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB – and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – the leading authority on management and leadership in the UK.
As such, it will give you the opportunity to learn from both academic experts and experienced practitioners, who have achieved the CMI’s prestigious Chartered Manager status.
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award as part of the Management and Leadership, Essentials program. If you also complete and pass the Management and Leadership, Personal Development program, you’ll earn another CMI Level 5 Award. Together, these two awards will give you a CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership – the next step to Chartered Manager status.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - What is Management?
Week 2 - Management Styles
- What is management?
- Personal development planning
- Influencing and communicating
Week 3 - Decision Making and Data
- An introduction to management styles
- Classic management style theories
- The importance of management styles – trust in the workplace
Week 4 - Stakeholders
- An introduction to decision making
- A possible approach to decision making
- The importance of data and information
- Decision information
- An introduction to stakeholders
- Categorising stakeholders
- Understanding stakeholders and meeting their needs