- University of Leicester
- 3 hours/week
- 6 weeks
- Paid Certificate Available
Explore the field of applied linguistics through real-world case studies
This online course introduces the field of applied linguistics and how it relates to disciplines including linguistics and language teaching.
You’ll explore real-world examples of applied linguistics, such as forensic linguistics and language assessment. You’ll look at the field’s impact on important issues - for example, reducing gender bias in language use and simplifying legal language.
You’ll find out what applied linguists do through a series of case studies. Specialists will work through problems and show you applied linguistic research methods to solve them.
This course is designed for:
- anyone interested in linguistics and language teaching, and thinking of a career in these fields
- people considering a postgraduate degree in applied linguistics or Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- professionals already working in applied linguistics or related fields, who want an update on current thinking and practice.
What topics will you cover?
- Have you ever met an applied linguist?
- Language and the big decisions in life
- Inspiring language learning
- The social role of pronunciation
- Investigating language in use
- Joining the Applied Linguistics and TESOL community at Leicester
pamela rogerson revell
- Go to Course: