Experts from The Careers Service here at The University of Sheffield share their top tips to help you write exceptional applications, CVs (or résumés), covering letters and personal statements.
- The University of Sheffield
- 3 hours/week
- 3 weeks
- Paid Certificate Available
You’ll also hear from employers and admissions tutors to find out what they really look for in a candidate. And once you’ve written that perfect application, prepare for the next stage with our course: How to Succeed at: Interviews.
What topics will you cover?
Understanding your skills
CVs and covering letters
- Analysing job adverts and course descriptions
- Researching the organisation
- Promoting yourself through positive writing
- Mastering applicant tracking systems
- Creating a personal brand
- Dealing with gaps in your application
Application forms and personal statements
- Making a positive impression
- Creating an effective CV
- Developing a professional online profile
- Selling yourself in your covering letter
- Exploring sample CVs and covering letters
- How to approach application forms
- Structuring your responses with the STAR technique
- Responding to competency-based, strength-based, motivational and situational judgement questions
- How to write a brilliant personal statement
This course is designed for anyone applying for jobs or courses. It will be of particular interest to those in the early stages of their career, or those who are out of practice and need to update their skills. No prior knowledge or expertise are needed.
Pamela Hafekost and Team
- Go to Course: