- University of Exeter
- 3 hours/week
- 6 weeks
- Paid Certificate Available
Explore the British Empire through six controversial themes
Over six weeks, we’ll explore the British Empire through six themes - money, violence, race, religion, gender and sex, and propaganda. You’ll get to hear the stories of the fascinating individuals who contributed to both its rise and fall.
Along the way, you’ll be able to debate the questions these themes raise with learners from around the world, and draw your own conclusions.
You can start to explore the Empire and find out more about the Centre for Imperial and Global History on its blog, Imperial & Global Forum, or by following @ExeterCIGH on Twitter.
What topics will you cover?
- The relationship between Empire and money
- The nature of violence within Empire
- The connection between race, religion and British imperialism
- The role of women in Empire and how attitudes to sex influenced British imperialism
- The significance of British imperial culture
- British decolonisation and the concept of ‘neo-imperialism’
This course is intended for anyone with an interest in imperial history. It doesn’t require any reading before you start or previous experience of studying the subject.
- Go to Course: