- University of East Anglia
- 6 weeks
- 2 hours/week
- Paid Certificate Available
The course offers an opportunity to network with other learners and with the creators of the course through discussions, graphs and social networking features and to share knowledge with other learners and professionals. By completing this online course participants will be able to describe:
You can use the hashtag #FLswallowMed to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course.
- the swallowing process and different causes of swallowing problems
- the different types of medicines formulations and how these should be administered to patients
- how tablets and capsules are designed to ensure that drugs are appropriately distributed in the body
- special considerations which need to be taken into account when giving medicines to older people and children
- the law relating to the selection and administration of medicines
- how best to administer medicines to patients with dysphagia
We look forward to seeing you on the course.
There are no requirements for this course, other than an interest in swallowing difficulties and medicines. The course will be of particular interest to carers, nurses and those in the field of medicine
What topics will you cover?
- Definition and causes of dysphagia
- How to improve medicines administration for patients with dysphagia
- Supporting patients with dysphagia to take their medicines
- Different medicine formulations and the important considerations for patients with dysphagia
- Legal and ethical considerations when administering medicines to patients with dysphagia
- Standardising the approach to reviewing medicines in patients with dysphagia
- Go to Course: